Many of you want to install Custom ROMs on your device, but stock recovery doesn't allow it. To do that Custom Recovery is must need. In this thread, we are talking about on How to Install TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project) Custom Recovery To Any Device.
Let's talk more about Stock Recovery and Custom Recovery
What is Stock Recovery?The Recovery that comes with your Android Device from the manufacturer is called Stock Recovery. Stock recovery can be used to flash updates from a update.zip file, OTA Updates, for factory reset etc.
What is Custom Recovery?
From stock recovery, we cannot flash Custom ROMs, Modules etc. So for this, you need to flash custom recoveries like TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project), CWM (ClockworkMod), etc. Flashing custom recovery overwrites system recovery environment.
Hope you understand basic difference between Stock Recovery & Custom Recovery.
What is TWRP Custom Recovery?TWRP stands for TeamWin Recovery Project. It's an open source software custom recovery for Android devices. It's helpful to install third party firmware and backup your current system. It also supports the installation of custom ROMs, kernels, add-on e.g. Gapps and other mods. Using TWRP you can wipe, format, install or backup your system. There is a wide variety of custom recoveries are available but, TWRP Recoveries are most popular and is widely used.
Benefits of installing a custom recovery :
Installing Custom recovery won't void the warranty
Take a complete backup before Flashing this.
I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD-Cards.
Try this at your own risk.
Now let's Start Our Main Topic
Follow the step by step guide to install a Custom Recovery on your Xiaomi device-
01. You Need to have an Unlocked Bootloader. If you haven't already done then check out this thread for the detailed guide.
02. Now Turn on USB Debugging. To do that-
Open settings- about phone- click 7 times on MIUI version to enable Developer options. (See image instructions).
Now again open settings- Additional settings- Developer options- turn on Developer options and USB Debugging. (See image instructions).
03. Your phone needs to be recognized by your pc, if it's not recognized please install Xiaomi USB drivers (usually included in Mi PC Suite http://pcsuite.mi.com).
04. Download your device TWRP file from here [Collection] Official TWRP for all Xiaomi Devices. Download Now!!
05.Download Android ADB and Fastboot from here and install it ADB Installer v1.4.3
2018-08-24 17:23:33 UploadClick on the file to download the attachment
06. Rename your twrp.img file to recovery.img and move it to ADB folder (usually in C: drive).
07. Boot your phone into fastboot mode pressing and holding volume down + power key.
08. Connect your Xiaomi phone to your PC with the USB cable.
09. Search for cmd in Windows search bar and right click on it = "Run as administrator".
10. Type in the command prompt
and press Enter, you will move to ADB folder (if installed in a different path please replace "C:\ADB" with your installation path, e.g. "C:\Program Files\ADB").
11. Then type
and press Enter just to be sure your device is correctly recognized.
12. Then type
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
and press Enter to flash the recovery (Warning: this is permanent and will replace your Mi Recovery).
OR for temporary TWRP type
fastboot boot recovery.img
and press Enter if you want to use the recovery without flashing it.
13. Now type
and press Enter to reboot your device after the flash is complete.
twrp5.jpg (41.79 KB, Downloads: 13)
2018-08-24 16:35:34 Upload
14. First time you boot in recovery you will be shown a TWRP screen asking to allow modifications to the system partition. Personally, I choose always Keep read only to have no issues with my ROM.
For another Custom Recovery, installing process is 99% same.
Note- Also If you want back to the Mi Recovery please download your xiaomi device Fastboot image from here and extract the recovery.img file, then follow the same steps as above to flash it and go back to stock recovery
That's All For Now, Thanks!!
In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .