In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Redmi Note 4

Custom ROM Class
Subscribed
Subscribe

[ROM] [Custom ROM] crDroid Pie (9.0) ROM for Redmi Note 4

2019-01-14 02:45:26
17321 89
Hi Mi Fans,
I am back with another thread for the Custom ROM Class weekly series. I will be reviewing crDroid ROM running Android Pie 9.0 for our beloved Redmi Note 4.
crDroid is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device also attempting to bringing many of the best features existent today.

Note
Have a complete backup before flashing
I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards
Try this at your own risk

Prerequisites:
Note:
Flash the ROM and GApps simultaneously so that you will not face any problem

To know the process for Unlocking the Bootloader, installing Custom Recovery and flash the ROM, you can read the threads given below:

Review
User Interface
crDroid is close to Stock Android with a lot of customization options.
  • The lock screen and the home screen is also the same as the Stock ROM, you will not see any major changes.

• The notification panel shade has become translucent giving a slight peak of what’s behind it. When we swipe lefty in the home screen, we will see Google Feed.

• The recent tab is redesigned. The apps are aligned horizontally unlike the previous version, giving a complete view of apps from the recent screen. Double tapping the recent key switch between the current app and the previous app which I liked the most and thus making multitasking easier for me.

• The power menu and the volume panel has been redesigned. It is shifted to the extreme right side of the screen, thus taking less space.

• Quick access of application from the home screen or app tray makes the life even easier. Now, we don't need to open the app to do any particular work. Just long pressing an app, gives the option to quickly send a message to our loved ones. We also get the option to view app info which is quite a good option for a lazy person like me

• Home screen settings consist of the following option:
  • Display Google app: To the left of the home screen
  • Show search bar: Show the search bar on the home screen
  • Number of dock icons: We can set any number as we like
  • App labels: Show the label of apps on the home screen
  • Allow home screen rotation: It allows the home screen to rotate when the phone is rotated

• The settings page is also redesigned. The colorful icons to the left of the sub-settings look cooler ever. A search bar is added at the top of the screen, which makes the searching of any settings easier. There is a dedicated subsetting for customization named 'crDroid Settings'. We can customize Status Bar, Quick Settings, Lock Screen, Recent Screen, Navigation, Buttons, User Interface, Notifications, Sounds and other Miscellaneous settings which separates it from other custom ROMs.

System Storage:
The ROM and GApps take 7.4GB of the system storage.

Smart Lock
We can quickly unlock our phone in a few situations when a phone is near to our body, it will help us to unlock it without entering the password/fingerprint etc. It also depends on the GApps you flashed. I prefer the nano GApps which is a light package and comprises of important Google apps. The features available with this GApps are as follows:
  • On-body detection: Keeps our phone unlocked while it's on us
  • Trusted places: Add location where the device should be unlocked
  • Trusted devices: Add the device to keep this one unlocked when it's nearby
  • Trusted face: Device will unlock when a face is recognized
  • Voice Match: Device unlocks when voice is recognized

Battery Performance:
The Battery backup is quite decent in this ROM. I got a good Screen On Time as compared to other ROMs in heavy usage.

Digital Wellbeing
crDroid also offers native Android Pie feature Digital Wellbeing that will help us to understand our phone usage better, app usage timers so that we can limit the usage, visuals detailing how many times we unlock our phone per day and how many notifications we receive. The new Wind Down feature limits notifications and also gradually turns the display greyscale, to make it easier on the eyes and to encourage we to unplug, there is also a Do Not Disturb mode for preventing interruptions.

My Verdict
I have used this ROM for more than a month now. This ROM is very stable and good for daily usage. Those who play PUBG Mobile will face minor fame drops, which I think everyone is facing after the latest 0.10 update. However, this ROM is worth giving a try for those who want the latest Android version with good battery backup and almost stable (I didn't find any bug as of now).