In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Tech

[Discussion] How To Turn Your Home Into Smart Home - Explained!

2018-08-02 01:46:46
4887 108

Hi, Mi Fans!

As more customers in India get tech-savvy and depend on several gadgets to get the job done, it is natural that they are not just limited to smartphones but also other connected gadgets to make their lives easier. Home automation is a segment that is still a niche for now in India and has a potential market here. Most of the people are not sure how to get started and what devices to buy. For those, here is a short list of what they would have to buy to get their home appliances and tech accessories work in sync, making it feel like they're in the future already.

What is a Smart Home?
Basically, it's a house with integrated automation systems that offer us different possibilities thanks to the internet. By turning your home into a smart one, you are able to control appliances, lighting, temperature, multimedia systems, security, windows and doors, among a whole range of other functions. With Home automation, you can go much further opening and closing of blinds/curtains. Arming/disarming of alarm systems, controlling your home theatre system, opening/closing of garage doors and gates.

Can My Home be Smart too?
Of course! Any home can become a smart home. You simply need a WiFi connection that's powerful enough to reach all the devices you have in your house. So, let's know more about this!

Getting Started:-
  • Good Internet Reception:

That’s the basic requirement and the first step to getting everything works seamlessly and in tandem with the source device. A good Wi-Fi router (Like Mi Router 3C) with ample data and network with good speeds is likely to reduce the latency between the command given the time it takes to get the work done.

• Virtual Assistant:

Virtual voice-controlled assistants like Apple's Siri, Microsoft's Cortana, Google's Assistant and Amazon's Alexa make it easy to control smart home products by speaking simple commands like "Alexa, turn on the lights". Each of these tools has its strengths and weaknesses, so choose the one that will be more likely to work for your needs.

• Smart Speaker:

A smart speaker is the one that is likely to do the majority of the work for you. These speakers coming from Mi, Google, Amazon, Apple and Microsoft can play a song for you, control smart lights, control your TV, music system, take or make calls, send messages and pretty much everything that you can do from your smartphone.
  • Smart Light Bulbs:

Smart bulbs are one of the most basic appliances you can get to make your home futuristic. These connect with a particular platform or a hub on a source device such as your smartphone. You can control the brightness levels and even the colors.

• Smart Switches:

Smart switches are slightly costly but make it really easy to manage the lighting system of your home. Most of them are packed with motion sensors that when senses you, turn on the light of that particular room or area of the house.

• Smart Locks:

Smart locks are placed on the door that will allow you to open your doors with your finger or with a smartphone using a particular app. So, you don't have to struggle to find the house keys, all you need to do is put your finger on the lock to open the front door.

• Smart Surveillance Camera:

Smart cameras placed outside the door of your home, in the living room or in your kid's room is essential. These cams are connected to your smartphone or tablets and activate or switch off as and when you tell them to. Some can also record constantly and alert you of any movement.

• Smart Doorbell:

What? You're here already! My house isn’t exactly a mansion, but instead of walking to the front door, I think I’ll just let my phone do the hard work for me and let you in. All I need is a system like a video doorbell, which lets me see who’s at the door, allows me to talk to them and then decide whether I want to open the door.

• IoT Appliances:

Other appliances too add to the list. These IoT devices include everything from washing machines and refrigerators to Wi-Fi enabled ACs and geysers. All of these connect to your smartphone over the internet and can be activated or switched off remotely as and when required.

• Smart TV:

What do you guys think about finishing up the evening with a movie or a bit of a series binge on Netflix? Obviously, it wouldn’t be a Smart Home without a smart TV (Like Mi LED Smart TV). Smart TVs have an operating system (Like PatchWall) and internet connection, so we can control them through apps and enjoy features like YouTube or Netflix.

• Cleaning:

I’m sorry, but we need to wrap up this little get-together. Before you go, I'll show you one last device: Smart Vacuum Cleaner. There're many options available, for an example Mi Robot vacuum cleaner, all you need to do is turn it on and it'll do everything. It intelligently maps out the interior of your house, plotting out a course automatically cover all corners and allows you to manually drive it around (if needed).

Summary:-
The truth is, there are so many different options out there that we couldn't fit them all into this one article. Last but not least, having connected gadgets is also important, You can connect multiple speakers in different rooms or your soundbar with the large TV and likewise. For instance, without touching your smartphone you can give a voice commands to your smart speaker to play a particular video and sit back watching a glimpse of future as the video plays on the nearby TV with the audio coming from the wirelessly connected sound bar and even multiple speakers in different rooms, along with the lights automatically setting the mood by dimming or changing colours.

Source: 1 2

Related Articles:-

Do you use any of these devices?
Tell us by leaving your comments below!

Rate

Number of participants 1 Experience +3 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2018-08-02 01:46:46
Favorites106 RateRate

Master Bunny

PPM2 | from mobile

Awesome Thread thanks for sharing
2018-08-02 01:51:27

Master Bunny

meetgour | from Redmi Note 5 Pro

Interesting..!!
2018-08-02 02:03:38

Grandmaster Bunny

Solver13 | from mobile

Well Explained!
2018-08-02 02:09:00

Advanced Bunny

MithunVN | from Redmi 5A

really loved it, but their will be no privacy at all!
2018-08-02 02:43:11
Right now I'm using All Xiaomi Smart Home Products in my home(^^)(^^)
2018-08-02 03:41:09

Sam_crazy | from Redmi Note 4

Awesome thread. Great Explaination. Every details have captured. Many things cleared out, looks easy to transform a home into smart one.
2018-08-02 03:47:40

Grandmaster Bunny

piyush1976 | from Redmi Note 4

Very nice explained....good...ty for sharing
2018-08-02 04:47:11
Tech savy

Advanced Bunny

paras pachauri | from Redmi 4A

cool device
2018-08-02 05:52:25
Awesome Thread thanks for sharing
2018-08-02 06:08:51