In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Mi TV

[Review] DO NOT BUY Mi TV or any Soundbar if you are going to use with Bluetooth

2019-02-09 04:08:58
1750 13
I purchased Mi TV 4 PRO 55 during the Diwali sale going on in Flipkart. I have been pretty content with the TV I got and the money I paid for it eventhough there were small quirks like no Netflix of Amazon Prime support.
I purchased the Soundbar 2 weeks back maybe.. initially I used it with my laptop to evaluate it better and had no problems.

Once I paired it with my TV however, all kinds of shortcomings I observed with the TV.

• Severe audio degradation overtime when Soundbar is used with Bluetooth. Prime suspect currently is HDMI interference as the issue has been spotted only when viewing satellite content. If I restart the soundbar it gets fixed, then again, just temporarily.
  • If you're connected to the internet by WiFi (i'm guessing majority of the crowd is), you may see that video quality chosen when playing back Youtube videos and such may be less than optimal or video buffers more than usual. I'm pretty sure this is consistent behavior and I believe this is because both Bluetooh and Wifi are broadcast with same communication module (like a laptop Wifi Card) and it simply does not have enough bandwidth to fetch 1080p and up content through WiFi and also output audio via Bluetooth.
  • I'm basing above analysis on the fact that I have observed this behavior on my laptop. When downloading torrents at high speed (something like 2-4 Mbps and up), my connected bluetooth mouse would stutter and jerk a lot. If I closed my torrent application, it would fix by bluetooth issue.
  • If connected via S/PDIF, there is no way for you to control the volume
  • When using S/PDIF output, both TV speakers and your soundbar is producing audio. I have searched most places and did not find a way to configure just S/PDIF output.

With regards to S/PDIF, if I have grossly overlooked a setting that allows to use as primary audio output, please let me know. If not, the company should definitely provide an update and volume control via S/PDIF.

With regards to HDMI interference, I'm mostly from software background but I highly suspect it may be a hardware design flaw where not enough EMI (Electro Magnetic Interference) shielding is provided between the components.

With regards to Bluetooth and Wifi bandwidth.. I'm not sure if the communication module industry is like this as a whole or of if Mi cheaped out and used a less expense (ergo less effective) communication chip. Again a hardware limitation and no way to get around it.

To the mods that may ask me my TV software info.. it is whatever the latest version you guys released for my model.

I enourage others to reply if you've seen any similar such behavior with their TV and any soundbar or bluetooth device.
2019-02-09 04:08:58
Favorites2 RateRate
After reading through it looks like you have issues with your Internet, rather than issue with Mi TV. We have tested Mi TV with Soundbar, while playing content from Internet (at Mi Home). The bandwidth at Mi Home was good, and we found buffer only when playing 4K videos.

It would be better to check your internet than blaming the device.

Also you can do a bit of search about Bluetooth and Wifi modules used in devices. They are not same, there will be different components connected to the system. So one causing trouble to other is false information.
2019-02-09 09:13:15

Semi Pro Bunny

1715476503 | from Redmi Note 4

These are minus point of affordable TV bro
2019-02-09 06:56:53

Pro Bunny

Predator 2018 | from Redmi Note 5 Pro

Oh thanks for the information.
2019-02-09 07:31:10

Master Bunny

Simmi Kansal | from Redmi Note 5 Pro

thanks nice information
2019-02-09 08:56:53

Rookie Bunny

rahulhr Author | from app

Edited....
2019-02-09 11:37:13

Rookie Bunny

rahulhr Author |

Reyas Mohammed replied at 2019-02-09 19:43:15
After reading through it looks like you have issues with your Internet, rather than issue with Mi TV ...

Please do explain then how my video quality jumps back to high quality if I disconnect the soundbar. I have a 75mbps connection. No reason for the software to pick 360p or 480p. Like I mentioned in my post, the TV does work fine in other cases. I also defended this TVs 4k playback on youtube last year on this very forum.

Also, my higher concern is the sound deterioration that happens overtime when viewing HDMI content. Surprised there's no mention of that in your reply.  I've come across at least 2 more threads of users sharing similar experience.

https://in.c.mi.com/thread-1752371-1-0.html
https://in.c.mi.com/thread-1735231-1-0.html

I'm more than happy to show it to any of your technician should they pay a visit. If I get time, I'll make a video of the scenario in couple days and link it here.
2019-02-09 11:46:39

Advanced Bunny

$@!£ | from app

thanks for the info
2019-02-09 23:21:11

Master Bunny

Vidhu Bhushan | from Redmi 4A

Reminds me of Sasta roye baar baar
2019-02-10 00:04:27

Advanced Bunny

SuperS | from Redmi Note 4

If you are using Spdif while streaming from STB you can control volume from STB remote, and also sound output from TV should be muted otherwise you have sound from both TV speakers and sound bar
2019-02-10 01:04:26

Rookie Bunny

rahulhr Author | from app

SuperS
If you are using Spdif while streaming from STB you can control volume from STB remote, and also sou ...

@SuperS that's a neat idea. will try. but again, problem is we also consume quite a bit of online content. so volume control will be an issue when doing that.
2019-02-10 10:53:45