Mi.com | APP Download | About Mi Community | Privacy Policy |
India
In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Tech

[Discussion] [#03 Quick Discussion] Are The Days Of Android Widgets Over?

2019-02-10 22:37:21
2558 17

Hi Mi Fans!

It's time for another quick discussion. In the previous thread, we discussed whether curved TVs are a gimmick or not. Now, it's for Android Widgets. Back in the years, when this was launched for the first time, it really created hype among us. It was always counted as one of the most creative features of Android, compared to iOS. But, nowadays that hype, somehow has decreased. Looks like even those who love customizations, rarely use them. Has the quality dropped or are they just not useful like before or something else? Let's find out in this thread!

When it comes about widgets, I really got happy because it gives me the chance to see all of my essential information such as mail, clock, music and many more, at a glance. But it's also true that many apps of nowadays, don't support the actual helpful widgets anymore, although having widgets. To be more specific, these widgets do nothing but to offer only a shortcut of making or creating something - for example, the Google Docs widget. I used it, so I can tell you that it's nothing but a simple shortcut to create a new document. You won't get any option there to have sheets or slides on one of your screens. And if we're talking about Google widgets, it's true that even Google doesn't seem to be putting a lot of effort into theirs.

Android Widgets had somehow lost its hype

It includes the Lock screen widgets also. Lock screen widgets were really something at its beginning. But that era came to end when official support had been cut off along with the arrival of the Android L. But if you search carefully, you'll still find the third-party apps that offer them, but it's too rare. You already know its main reasons. Superfast face unlock and fingerprint authorization actually made those lose their popularity. Launchers, on the other hand, suffer from the same problem due to their styles and designs.

Conclusion: It's not that all are dead. There's still chance that they can revive. A new initiative called “Slices” is already in the works. They're creating hope as it's said they are “UI templates that can display rich, dynamic, and interactive content from your app” and are apparently much easier to develop than widgets currently are. But of course, this is my view. I also want to know your opinion on the matter.

In Case You Missed The Previous Chapters:
  • Source: 1

Be the first one to be notified: Follow us:

So, do you still use widgets? Do you find them useful? Why or why not? Let me know in the poll and in the Comments section below

Single Poll thread Total 50 Users Voted This Poll has ended.

66% (33)

34% (17)
Submit

Rate

Number of participants 2 Experience +20 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2019-02-10 22:37:21
Favorites8 RateRate

Advanced Bunny

5204684125 | from Redmi Note 4

I still use Android widgets as it gives the scope to have a clear look at my important things, at a glance.

Thanks for making such thread. it really helped.
2019-02-10 22:53:52

Advanced Bunny

William Jacobson | from Redmi Note 4

Thanks for sharingmimi
2019-02-10 22:55:17

Advanced Bunny

Joseph Anderson | from Redmi Note 4

nice.         
2019-02-10 23:01:54

Techie Team

Solver13 | from Redmi Note 4

Widgets aren't necessary nowadays as we're getting to see that smartphones features some really good shortcuts to perform anything and also like widgets those shortcuts which we get to see atleast doesn't covers the homepage of our phone. So, for me widgets aren't necessary at all.
2019-02-10 23:30:18

Device team

prashanthsahu | from Redmi Note 4

yes I think it's useful and day to day more development is also going on.
2019-02-10 23:32:42

Rookie Bunny

5187259011 | from Redmi Y2

kadkkk............
2019-02-10 23:46:36

Rookie Bunny

Abdul haee | from Redmi Note 5 Pro

nice
2019-02-11 02:06:48
Thanks for share

2019-02-11 05:29:57
Thanks for sharing