In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Tech

[News] External GPS Receiver: Explained!

2019-04-11 02:26:32
14286 132

Hello Mi Fans!
On my previous thread I shared six tips with you all using which you can improve the GPS accuracy of your Android devices and today I'm going to explain one such point from my previous thread which is regarding "External GPS Receiver" because I think few of you are having some questions regarding it for which I've created this thread and I hope that this thread is really going to help you all and will clear most of the doubts which you're having regarding External GPS Receiver. So, keep reading this thread till the end and before we start let's discuss what External GPS Receiver actually is, so it'll be easier for you all to make out the things which I'll be explaining in the later part of the thread. So, without wasting time let's start!

What is an External GPS Receiver?

External GPS Devices are basically using log coordinates. These External GPS Antennas can be used with your Android Tablets, Dashcams, Laptops and even with the Vehicles GPS unit for tracking locations with much more accuracy. You can even turn your laptop into a standalone GPS device with the External GPS Antennas and offline as well as online maps. These GPS sensors come with WiFi as well as Bluetooth connectivity for communicating with the base unit and also the External GPS Receiver helps you to extend the battery life of your smart devices as well.

External GPS Vs Internal GPS:

• There's not much difference between an Internal and External GPS Receivers but the only difference which is there between them is the mounting location because as we know that in case of Internal GPS Receiver it's built into the device whereas in case of External GPS Receivers it isn't built into the device because it can be mounted on a remote location.
  • Some devices come with such high Internal GPS Receiver that it easily get GPS signal where other Internal GPS Receiver can't. You'll need an External GPS Receiver only when your device fails to get GPS signal where you've placed it. An Internal GPS Receiver can get GPS signal through the windshield and even a light, canvas top but not a hard or thick top.
  • The best way to understand when you'll need an External GPS Receiver is by placing your device at such location from where it can get a GPS signal. Give it ample of time to get the GPS signal if it gets it successfully then there's no need for you to get an External GPS Receiver but if it fails to get the GPS signal then you'll require an External GPS Receiver.

Using an External GPS device:

• Nowadays most of the Android devices support External GPS even after they have built-in Internal GPS. Basically, External GPS is much more accurate than Internal GPS. The phone manufacturers have done a great job with the GPS data and as such there may be no real benefit of using an External GPS but if your device doesn't come with built-in Internal GPS, External GPS is the only option left for you.
  • You can use the External GPS using the TNP Mobile app but before using it, it's recommended to download the manufacturer's test app to configure that the External GPS you're having is working according to the manufacturer's instructions or not. After you're satisfied with the External GPS that it's working according to the manufacturer's instructions, download the TNP Mobile app and as soon as you'll launch the app it'll use the signal from the GPS device. External GPS requires no physical connection it helps you to save the power of your smart devices as well.
  • As we all know that Android devices are highly variant so there may be different ways of pairing it with the External GPS device so it's better to follow the manufacturer's instructions for pairing it with the device first, then use the manufacturer's test app to determine proper connectivity. Generally, if you can pair the device with the phone or tablet, the device should work when you start the.

Which is the best?

It has been found that the External GPS keeps the ability to track locations with much more accuracy than Internal GPS and also as it doesn't use any physical connection it helps you to save the power of your smart devices as well. So an External GPS will provide much more benefit as compared to Internal GPS but an External GPS is not required if your device is having built-in GPS.

So, friends, these are some information about the External GPS Receiver. I hope this thread will help you to clear all your doubts which you're having regarding it. If you have any questions feel free to ask in the Comments section below.

Source: 1, 2, 3
Image credit: 1, 2, 3

Thank You For Reading

Be the first to be informed: Follow us

Recommended Threads:

Rate

Number of participants 1 Experience +10 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2019-04-11 02:26:32
Favorites103 RateRate

Semi Pro Bunny

S.RINGO.689267808 | from Redmi Note 5 Pro

very very informative article, Thank You
2019-04-11 04:30:18

Read Only

RJP AKSHAY RANA | from Redmi Note 4

AWSOME ONE !!!!!
2019-04-11 08:27:25

Resource Team

iamumesh | from Redmi Note 5 Pro

Thanks for sharing with us!
2019-04-11 09:25:26
Alone we can do so little, But together we can do so much. --''Helen Keller''
Well written!
2019-04-11 09:40:39

Tech - Moderator
Mi FC Trivandrum - President

Master Bunny

A007....... | from Redmi 4

Good information.
2019-04-11 11:41:00

Techie Team

J C Paul | from Redmi Note 4

Nice!!                       
2019-04-11 11:42:40

Wizard Bunny

Sampath madurai | from Redmi Note 4

Nice thanks for your information.
2019-04-11 13:16:19
Good information.

very informative.. thanks for making post in our request..
2019-04-11 14:01:32
awesome and fantastic
2019-04-11 23:41:35

App Review Team

Maji George | from Redmi 3S

well written!
2019-04-12 21:31:52