In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Redmi Note 5

Custom ROM Class
Subscribed
Subscribe

[ROM] [Custom ROM] OnePlus 5T Port ROM for Redmi Note 5

2019-07-03 11:15:49
4176 18

Hello Mi Fans...!!!
        Good to see you all. Welcome to yet another session of the Custom ROM Series by the Device Team. To the ones who don't know about custom ROM series, in this series of threads, we The Device team members will try out different custom ROMS available for the devices and then review it here.

Today we are here to review a ported ROM, which I was using for the past one month. Its the OnePlus 5T port ROM for Redmi Note 5(Vince) which is running on Oxygen OS. This ROM is the best custom ROM I have ever used. The fluidity, stability and backup of the ROM are mindblowing.

So without any ado, let's get started...

Disclaimer: Have a complete backup before flashing. I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, etc. Do this at your own risk

Prerequisites:
Unlocked Bootloader
Orange Fox Custom Recovery Installed: Download from here
OnePlus 5T port ROM based on Android: Download from here
Backup all your personal data

Note: As the ROM already contain GApps within, you need not flash it separately.

To know the process for Unlocking the Bootloader, installing Custom Recovery and flashing the ROM, you can refer the threads given below:

ROM review :

The ROM has both light mode as well as a dark mode. I have used the ROM and the pictures are in dark mode with the blue accent colour. The accent colour can be changed according to one's will.

Homescreen:
The home screen won't be strange to one who is familiar with stock android or stock Android-based ROMs. It has default round buttons, a google search bar, app drawer arrow to open the app drawer and the Never Settle logo. The notification bar is also of stock look and has voLTE and other symbols.

Notification and Quick settings bar:
It has one of the fluidic and easy to use notification and quick settings among the custom ROMs.The blue and black colour combination look really beautiful as well. It has a shortcut button to the settings, to the user profile and edit option to edit the quick settings.

Apps drawer :
The app tray is also similar to the stock android with a search bar on top and rounded icons. It has a search bar at the top. The app drawer can be opened by just swiping up in the home screen. There is also an option to select either open the whole of app drawer or the most recently used ones while swiping up. It also has black tinting in the background which would be white if I choose the light mode. The accent colour of blue is still maintained.
Settings Menu:
The settings menu as it is in dark mode is black and blue in colour. There are no extra looks to it, looks simple and classy. It has a search bar at the top for easy searching of the required settings.

Display Settings:
Display settings is not a new option to any device or any ROM. But in this ROM, it has the option of switching between the dark mode, light mode or a third one which is the colourful mode. there is also ambient display and always ON display option, but as it is ported ROM, it's not working yet.

Software Version:
The ROM is running on Android Pie with a reasonably new Android security patch. The version I was using was on Oxygen OS 9.5.0 Port of Oneplus 5T. It had the Android security patch level of April 1, 2019.

Storage:
Since the ROOM is very clean and contains only necessary apps, we will get free storage of about 21GB as am using the 32GB variant. The storage menu is also very similar to stock Android ROMs.

Battery:
This is the most fascinating thing about this ROM. This ROM gave me the most hours of battery backup and Screen on time among all the ROMs I have ever used in my life. As you can see I got a screen on time of about 5hrs 38min from 100-44%. I usually get around 9-10 hrs screen on time with this ROM which is mindblowing. But the battery optimization comes with some sacrifices of some apps being killed in the background.

App vault:
As most of the ROMs have, it also has an app vault like page which can be obtained by swiping from left to right from the home screen. The app vault has a live cricket scoreboard, a toolbox with tools shortcuts, the recent app used tray and a very useful Memo option to memorise something, we can add notes and set reminders by this option.

Button and gesture setting:
The setting has the option to enable alert slider, gestures for navigation and quick gestures which can be activated even when the device is unlocked. It has also gesture option to quickly activate the default assistant, for notification and to take a photo.

Navigation Bar and Gestures:
This is one of the options in the button and gestures settings which I feel is interesting. In this option, we can select one among the three navigation bar. The regular button-like navigation bar, The back, a home gesture of google pixel like and the full-screen gesture similar to what we have in MIUI. But the gestures are bit different and was a bit difficult to adjust.

Utilities:
The utility settings have the option to enable gaming mode, the option to Quick pay for digital payments. It has parallel apps similar to dual apps as in MIUI and has an app locker facility. Scheduled power ON/OFF and pocket mode is interesting too.

Camera:
The device has default camera 2 API enabled and google cam without night mode is the default camera. We can also install the google cam with night mode as well.

A quick comparison between MIUI and OnePlus 5T port for Redmi Note 5.

In this comparison, we will show you the features of OnePlus 5T port ROM which MIUI doesn't have and the features of MIUI which OnePlus 5T port doesn't have.

Let's have a look at interesting features of both the ROMS.
MIUI Features

AI Portrait mode
Quick Ball
App vault
One-handed mode
Second space
Dual app
App Locker
Inbuilt call recorder
Emergency SOS
Inbuilt Compass App
Mi Message
QR code scanner in the Camera App
Hidden apps
One-tap courier tracking in Mi Message
Smart IRCTC SMS
Private Notifications
Full-screen Gestures
Picture in Picture mode

OnePlus 5T port for Redmi Note 5 ROM Features:

Stock Android experience with round icon support
The OnePlus animation
Android Pie
Optimum customization
The picture in Picture or PIP feature
Background limits
Autofill UI
Camera2api enabled
Google cameras inbuilt without night mode
Lots of gesture features
Both dark and light mode
App vault

Subscribe to our columns to Stay updated with interesting Debates, Polls, Tutorial and more from Device Team:

Rate

Number of participants 1 Experience +5 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2019-07-03 11:15:49
Favorites18 RateRate
Custom ROM Class
Post the review and user experience of Custom ROMs for different devices after using it.
30 Article Description     344 Subscribers
Subscribed
Subscribe

Advanced Bunny

5172889670 | from Redmi Note 5

Let me tell  one thing to you and device members that in place of suggesting note 5 users to use a custom ROM, why don't you suggest Xiomi to use stock Android in all their phones.At least Google will provide regular updates and the company will need any developer no longer.The company will save lots of money for the next big donation.
2019-07-03 12:06:20

Semi Pro Bunny

Graphics Ad Agency | from Redmi Note 7S

Good information
2019-07-03 13:24:52

Advanced Bunny

123vidhya | from Redmi 6 Pro

I don't think you should go for this
2019-07-03 13:25:10

Master Bunny

5203933800 | from Redmi Note 5 Pro

Thanks for sharing
2019-07-03 21:45:04

Rookie Bunny

Sonti Véńķáť Sai | from Redmi Note 5

it is not installing
2019-07-04 00:27:17

Grandmaster Bunny

Solver13 | from Redmi Note 4

Good ROM for Redmi Note 5 devices
2019-07-04 03:11:10

App Review Team

Maji George | from Redmi 3S

Thanks for sharing
2019-07-04 06:59:52

Master Bunny

Technical SJ@365 | from Redmi Note 5

thanks for sharing
2019-07-04 20:51:42

Advanced Bunny

Sam Smith IN | from Redmi 5 Plus

But this ROM have some more bugs compare to pixel ROM. So how can you say that this ROM is better ? I used this and after remove this ROM.
2019-07-04 21:57:01

Advanced Bunny

Sam Smith IN | from Redmi 5 Plus

Also we can't do ota update, because it says that in update section that ROM has been rooted, and you'll need to install full ROM.
2019-07-04 21:58:50