In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Redmi K20 Pro

[Reviews by Mi Explorers] An ode to Exploratory missions - How I felt using K20 Pro?

2019-07-18 08:09:54
1003 20

Introduction
My name is Mohammed Asif. In the explorer world I am known as Explorer Tiare. In the real world, I am the President of Mi Fan club - Bengaluru. I defend Xiaomi in every way I can. My love for Xiaomi has been since the legendary Mi3 - September 2014. I was surprised to see my name as one of the explorers. I was almost out of that shock, I received another surprise that I will get the device before the launch. The worst part about it was I HAD TO BE TIGHT-LIPPED ABOUT IT. UGGGGhhhhhhh that NDA!!!!
I can't brag, I cant post, I can't show my trophy. That was irresistible.

Processor
This is the spec you’ll probably see most frequently to denote performance. The processor is really the heart and soul of your phone. Different processors are usually classed by speed, which is expressed in gigahertz, or GHz. Additionally, modern processors are made up of multiple cores, which are individual processing units that can handle separate tasks. Duties can be split among the cores, allowing for parallel computing, and thus, faster output. Processors, specifically for smartphones and other mobile devices, are also termed “system-on-chips” or “chipsets” because they are usually a collection of multiple components on a single integrated circuit, like the device’s radios for calls and data, as well as the graphics processing unit. I will not rant much about how a processor works. I started using this beautiful device from 27th June 2019 as my primary device. I have not even once - be ready to be blown away - NOT ONCE USED THE MEMORY CLEAR option. I did not have to as the dynamic duo - processor & memory were capable enough to handle all the load I threw at it. This is just a treat for a heavy user like me. Yes, I have restarted the phone a few times but I did not use the Boost memory or clear memory options. It was a fluidy experience using this device. I was able to switch between games & other heavy-duty tasks effortlessly. This is what a good processor enables for you. The GPU Adreno 640 clubbed with the octa-core SD-855 is no match for any task that is given to these power busters! Packaged with a mobile processor is a graphics processing unit, or GPU unleashes the monstrous power in your hands. It was useful in many ways. For example, I was navigating & I was on a Google Duo call with one of my clients. I did not want to look awkward and panicking while on a business call. The split-screen feature just made my job easier. I finished the call with my client & I did not lose my way while driving. This is not a big deal. The bigger deal is that my phone, Redmi K20 pro did not give up on me. It handled all these very effectively like how you would expect a phone to work. Smart, isn’t it?

Camera (Pop-up & rear)

This is a massive quad camera setup. The best part no camera BUMP! I have named these camera on my own

• Telephoto - The Bokeh Demi-God
  • The main camera - The Friendly neighbour
  • Ultrawide - The Introvert but super-talented
  • Front Camera - The Transformer

1. The Bokeh Demi - God & 3. The Introvert
The portrait pictures are amazing. Edge detection is just WOW! It never fails to surprise me what Xiaomi can do for it’s camera audience. In addition to the normal & front camera, a telephoto lens brings the 2 times optical zoom mode to the K20 Pro, which can meet the shooting needs of different Portraits or close-ups in daily life. Overall, the Redmi K20 Pro is comparable to every flagship. While it doesn't do as much algorithmically or functionally as some of the phones it does cover a range of price points that makes it a master.

2. The main camera - The friendly neighbour
The main camera features today's mainstream 48 megapixel SONY IMX586 sensor. Generally speaking, a 48 megapixel lens is responsible for high resolution and high picture quality. In addition, the Redmi K20 Pro continues the AI function of xiaomi phones to identify a variety of scenarios. In daylight or good light, I have seen the K20 Pro has good control over detail, contrast, color and exposure, but I can still see noise when magnified in some shadows. The K20 Pro's forte is mostly on sharpness, allowing little noise in the dark. Nonetheless, it makes a great out-of-the-pocket camera to be carried around if you are a shutterbug.

3. Ultrawide - The Introvert but super-talented
A 16 megapixel ultra-wide Angle adds more gameplay to taking photos. Ultrawide gives good pictures provided how one takes pictures using this lens. In real-life I am not a great ultrawide fan. However, one thing I found this useful was when we have to cover a group of people. Now with this lens at your disposal, you don't need to move back a  few steps, just switch to ULTRAWIDE & that’s it everyone is in the frame. I still feel it needs more improvements.

4. Front Camera - The Transformer
There is a blue light strip on the pop-up camera and users can select different voice effects. Xiaomi has brilliantly made the blue light multi-purpose. It acts as a notification light which lights up when charging and or when you receive a notification. They did not leave it incomplete - you can switch off the strip light. I dropped it with the camera popped out ( on a sofa, RELAX!) The camera retracted itself which is known as double fall protection. You would not believe, I spent a good amount of time obsessing myself over the pop-up mechanism by changing the sounds. For each sound I did a minimum of 15 at a stretch. Hence a total of 15 x 6 = 90 - times (only :(). There's a glass cover on the camera. Who thinks about that? Xiamoi does!!! That's engineering of protection. Honestly, I found the popping up fast enough for me to capture a good moment.

The portrait mode from the front camera is a Darling! I am a person who enjoys the Rear Setup (of the camera, not what you thought but I like what you thought). I am rarely a selfie guy. Trust me after using the transformer I was compelled to use the front camera on many occasions. That's the power of good technology which gives you a hunch that it's good to adapt. To adapt faster, the quality of the outcome should also be great which in this case was bang-on. We are humans, we prefer to be in our comfort zones. I have no doubt this is beautiful - in terms of hardware, outcome, usability, adoption!

Design & Display

With the Redmi K20 Pro, Xiaomi also took this opportunity to shore up some of the previous phones weaknesses. And they started with the body.On the blue one I have here, there’s what appears to be a curls of blue ice crystals entwined with each other that I think looks really pleasing. Every angle gives it different shine & there is no way it would not grab your attention unless one is Color Blind!

Regardless, the key takeaway here is that the phone feels really good in the hand. The buttons are clicky, the glass gives it that expensive finish, and the curl pattern adds a little pizzazz to what is otherwise the most obvious colours - Blue & Red.
Dimensions - 156.7 x 74.3 x 8.8 mm (6.17 x 2.93 x 0.35 in) & Weight - 191 g

It fits the hand just right & fits within the pocket perfectly without any discomfort. On using the phone for long video calls or normal voice call, I did not feel tired holding it. The clear display is not straining to the eyes even in harsh sunlight. The display is crisp & vibrant when it comes to portraying colors. The placement of the buttons is just nearly perfect so that one-hand operation can be done comfortably. The sound from the speaker is just ample for a naked ear. It’s not too loud a blare or too hitting on the eardrums. It’s enough to look at small videos with sound on if you do not have a headset nearby. With headset I find the audio jack perfectly placed & I can listen to audio as well as charge my phone if I am playing a game. As compared to Mi 9, you can do only one thing if all the elements are wired. I love the fact that they have taken off or greatly reduced the camera bump because the protrusion of cameras on other phone gives me an OCD issue when I place the phone on a table or a smooth surface. The full screen display has the bezel just perfect enough so that when you hold the phone in your palm, the other parts of your palm sits perfectly at the edges without unnecessary touches which is essential during video playback or gameplay.

I feel it is a job well done & Kudos to the designing team who gave a thought to the various feedback collected from Mi fans all over.

Functional Design

I LOVE THE FULLSCREEN FEEL. My primary device is MI 9. I love that there’s no disturbance on the screen due to a notch. The placement of the buttons is close to perfect enough for a one-hand operation, even for smaller hands. The in-display fingerprint enables thumb operation on the phone easily. No more index finger juggling as compared to the previous models. The Screen itself can satisfy 90% users let alone the hardware & software. I never experienced a lag on the phone even during multi-tasking & switching between heavy duty apps. I have a 27W fast charger which is a part of wireless charging. That adapter charged my phone to 56% in 30 minutes. That;s enough for me to sail through the day, thanks to the high capacity battery. I use a wired headset - Mi In ear pro HD. With my MI 9 if I am charging my phone(wired), I cannot listen to music or watch videos or play games if I need to connect with my headset. I know what you are thinking - I DONT LIKE BLUETOOTH HEADSETS. Using it as a daily driver, I started to fall in love over little, small engineering behind the K20 pro. The auto dimming/brightness is a good feature which I just like when I am outside. After all the heavy usage, I haven't seen the phone heat up. That might be Bangalore weather & phone’s graphene technology as well.

Anything else that I liked

• No ADS
  • POCO Launcher - although I hated it during one of the app launching missions.
  • The dual-frequency GPS positioning
  • Multitasking is actually MULTI TASKING
  • Photo capture is faster compared to previous generations
  • 3.5 mm Jack

Conclusion

If I am offered this phone there will not be a second thought in me to “NOT” go for it. I am going to be an advocate to people who love to use & abuse their phone. This device can take the use more naturally & the abuse in a resistant way. When people say this is a beautiful phone, its just that. However, when it comes to performance, it’s just good in terms of performance but not well designed or good looking. This one is an amalgamation of Beauty + Brains (looks + performance). Trust me, if anyone comes to me for a discount, I am going to say “Namaste! Hum kuch nahi samajhte” & happily ask them to buy an overpriced phone.

#MiExplorers2019
#ShotbyMiExplorer
#BelievetheHype
#Redmik20pro

2019-07-18 08:09:54
Favorites3 RateRate

Semi Pro Bunny

HARISH_ACHU | from app

One good deep review! Multi-tasking is actually MULTI-TASKING! Thanks for the review!
2019-07-18 08:39:11

Master Bunny

Vikas2912 | from Redmi Note 6 Pro

nice article..
2019-07-18 09:35:25

wrony1119 | from mobile

Well detailed thread. Thanks for sharing bro
2019-07-18 12:59:57
ALWAYS BELIEVE SOMETHING WONDERFUL HAPPENING..

Advanced Bunny

bhargav bala | from mobile

Awesome!! Not as anyone's else!!
2019-07-18 14:34:35

Master Bunny

Ramachandran | from MI 3W

Detailed review. Thanks for sharing this.
2019-07-18 22:12:06

Rookie Bunny

1675440888 | from mobile

Reading your experience.... Its getting me thoughts me switch from S10 to K20
2019-07-19 01:44:25

Rookie Bunny

1675440888 | from mobile

Your thread is making me want to switch from S10 to K20...... MI... Miraculous Inventors ❤️
2019-07-19 01:46:45

SRI1997 | from Redmi K20 Pro

Awesome thread bro :)
2019-07-19 03:31:56

Grandmaster Bunny

Solver13 | from Redmi Note 4

Great use of images and very nicely explained!
2019-07-19 07:27:19

Rookie Bunny

1620715519 | from mobile

Zabardast....
2019-07-19 15:35:13