In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Redmi K20 Pro

[Reviews by Mi Explorers] [The Alpha Flagship] Redmi K20 Pro: Hands on Review By Explorer Dipper

2019-07-19 03:00:55
656 6
Hello Mi Fans,
You may have come to know about new Redmi K20 PRO: The Alpha flagship device launched b Xiaomi India on July 17th. Me being one of the Explorers had the privilege to have a hands-on experience of the device. I have been using the device for around a month. So I think we explorers are the right person to give you the exact review, The Hands-on review. As we all know the new flagship killer going to crush the Indian market on the 17th of July. The hype of the device is too high as it is going to give a very tight competition to other smartphones even flagship phones considering it is a Redmi device the Price would be aggressive.

The  Processor

The Redmi K20 PRO comes with lots of features hardware wise as well as software-wise. It is powered by the Latest Flagship chipset from Snapdragon. Redmi K20 Pro is powered by a 2.8GHz one-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 processor that features 1 core clocked at 2.84GHz, 3 cores clocked at 2.42GHz and 4 cores clocked at 1.8GHz.The performance of the processor can only be explained as flagship. It can provide you with everything that a smartphone can provide you. The performance of the processor can easily be said as the backbone of the device. The graphics support, image processing, battery performance, all would be thankful to the most powerful processor. It comes with Adreno 640 GPU which can handle any games quite easily. The way I could play  PUBG Mobile, Asphalt 9, and other heavy games cannot be defined in words. Especially PUBG mobile which is one of the most famous games in the country, there were zero frame drops and the network lags during the game were negligible. In the game boost settings, we can even enhance the gameplay even higher by increasing the touch sensitivity and so on. The UI is very much optimised for the device and the processor so that the processor could express its extreme capabilities within the device.

The Camera :

The next big thing about this device is the great cameras of the device. It has a triple camera setup featuring a 48MP camera sensor, a wide-angle lens and a telephoto lens. The pictures taken with the device is out of this world. I took some shots in my travels along with the state and could able to take some breathtaking shots. I gotta say friends how poor photography skills of the user, the pictures clicked are coming out to be excellent. The 48 MP beast is mindblowing. The amount of details it can hold within a device is seriously unbelievable. The secondary lens is a wide-angle, can take shots completely from a different perspective. This is the first time a Redmi branded device is coming with a tertiary camera. The tertiary camera is a telephoto lens which can help you take some excellent macro shots. The biggest thing among the camera is the front camera.

It is having a 20 MP selfie shooter as we had seen in the latest Redmi Note series, but the speciality is that the front camera is a Pop-up camera now. It's so amazing how the camera just pops out from nowhere to take stunning selfies and groupies. The pop up is really fast and the LED lights to its side are just amazing to see. It also has fall protection which retracts the pop-up camera if the device senses an accidental fall completely protecting the front camera. The AI features of the camera UI seriously need an appreciation. The UI along with the image processing by the processor itself is what makes the pictures taken from the device even better. To even take our breath away, it supports video recording up to 4K with electronic Image stabilization which helped me to capture excellent scenes with awesome clarity and frame flow. The portraits taken from the device, be it rear cam or selfie cam, the pictures are so good that you won't stop the clicking any time soon. The dynamic range of the device along with the semantic segmentation algorithm from Redmi helps to capture excellent Portrait shots with ease. To talk about the camera features, this post won't be enough as it is something that one needs to experience hands-on.

Some sample shots I captured with the Alpha Flagship :

The design and Display

Now let's see the device design and look. The device has Corning gorilla glass both on the front and the back which gives serious protection against scratches and accidental falls to a great extent. The designed is so stunning that we can't stop looking at it. It is literally 'Pure'.The glass back with 3-D glass design gives the device, the best-looking smartphone in the world. The 3-D glass shines gloriously under the sunlight, my lights lit up seeing it. The device comes with three variants, flame red, glacier blue and the classic black colour. The blue-coloured device is Inspired from the Ice glacier and the when we keep the device under the sun it really looks like a shining glacier on your eyes. The Red coloured one is obviously inspired by the flame. When we keep this device out in the sun, it seems we are holding a fireball in our hand. And the black one is as classy as it would be. The LED along the sides of the Pop-up camera is also dependent on the colour of the device. It has a blue LED in glacier blue variant and the Red colour for the Flame Red variant.

Talking about the display, it has a 6.39inch AMOLED display. The display is beautiful as the device has almost zero bezels. The chin of the device is also so thin that the device feels so sleek and immersive. Being an AMOLED display, the colour reproduction and colour contrast are out of this world. This can also helpful while playing games as well. I give credit to the device for improving my gameplay in PUBG mobile because due to the awesome display with true colour reproduction and good contrast, the enemies can be easily spotted and touch responsiveness of the device enables me to fire instantaneously.

The device also comes with In-Screen fingerprint scanner. To be frank, I had used some devices earlier within screen fingerprint scanner and I was not much impressed with it as it was very slow and the accuracy is less compared to the ordinary fingerprint scanner. So I was worried about the same thing in the new flagship killer also. But I was totally wrong, as it turns to be, the fingerprint unlocking is even faster than the normal rear fingerprint scanner and way... way better than the on-screen fingerprint scanner of the device I previously tried. Another feature of the display is the amount of backlighting it can give. I could easily read, watch videos, click pictures under the blazing sun. An LCD display could not even do any one of this under such high lighting. Hats off to Xiaomi for bringing an AMOLED display to a Redmi device.  

Functional Design

On holding we can feel the structural compatibility of the device. It has a metal body sandwiched between two glasses. It has the pop-up camera up top with an LED notification light in it. The notification light one of the features which have been omitted due to lack of bezels in new smartphones. But Xiaomi has done something really creative here. Having a notification light on the Pop-up camera gives that privilege of having a notification light and still maintaining thinnest bezels. It also has a secondary noise cancellation mic at top. And here is where Xiaomi has really thought of the Mi Fans... Yes, there is  3.55mm headphone jack which many other smartphone manufacturers started to omit for being having a USB Type-C port. There is volume ket at the right and a power button has a different colour. Both are made o metal and gives a very good tactile feel when clicked. On the bottom, we have the speaker grill, the main microphone, USB Type-C port and the sim tray. The sim tray is a dual sim tray which can accommodate two nano sims. The antennas of the device are also carefully designed. It also has a cooling system within the device so that it has negligible heating. The 8- layer graphite cooling sheet keeps the device cool every time for extended peek performances.

Other features

Some other feature I liked about the device, is the shape of the device. It has a very classy shape with good sleek designs. The shape is so good that even if it has a 6.39-inch display it feels like it is a 5.5inch device. It is so good and comfortable to hold. The glass at the back is very sticky which gives us a  nice grip while we are holding the device. The glass on the front is also carefully curved so that we get a very immersive experience. The full-screen gesture of MIUI makes it even better. The responsiveness of the touchscreen is also something which needs to be applauded. I am also very much blown away by the performance of the battery. It has a giant 4000mAh battery which is now common on Redmi devices. The giant battery along with the highly capable processor gives a heavy user a full day battery backup and 8-9hours screen On-Time easily. This is a perfect device for gamers as it enables to have extended gaming experience. Be it PUBG mobile or Asphalt, it is no match for the massive battery and the flagship chipset.

Conclusion

The device is a flagship device. Yes, I said it, it can be a flagship device who is born to kill and wipe all other flagship devices. The ultimate flagship killer it is. It has everything that a flagship device usually have. Most of the components are of flagship quality. The camera sensor, camera setups, the display, the pop-up camera, The AMOLED display, In-screen fingerprint scanner,3-D glass back, USB type -c charger with fast charger 4.0 support, highest level processor etc. It should be called as Flagship killer who himself is a Flagship device. What impressed me the most is the performance of the Snapdragon 855 processor. Whatever great feature it has, be it the camera, battery consumption, it all comes down due to the capability of the processor. The backbone of the device firmly holds all these features together so that the overall performance is soaring higher than most another device of this level. I give the processor the best thing I liked about this device. I know the camera, display and other features are stunning but it is the processor which makes all these components to roar loud.
#The Alpha Flagship

2019-07-19 03:00:55
Favorites1 RateRate

Grandmaster Bunny

Solver13 | from Redmi Note 4

Nicely reviewed
2019-07-19 07:24:12

App Review Team

Maji George | from Redmi 3S

Awesome ... Thank
2019-07-19 10:35:39

Techie Team