In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Tech

[Other] [Tech With Furqaan Ep.5] Power Banks: A Power House For Your Smart Phones!

2017-04-22 04:06:13
31095 153

Hey Mi Fans,

It's weekend and it's time for another of Tech With Furqaan Series!!! In the last episode, I explained about Routers and I saw many of your positive replies. I am glad you all are learning many things from Tech With Furqaan Series! So time for another episode! Today, I am here with the explanation of Power Banks!

Well, you must be having a basic idea about Power Banks. That you can charge your phone with n numbers of times depending upon the capacity of Power Bank. But do you know how it actually works? Do you know what's inside a power bank? No? Not an issue! I am here to give you the in-depth explanation of Power Banks! So Mi Fans we are about to Dive in the world of Technology, come along with paragliders as we are going to jump from a high point into the World of Technology!!

What's actually a Power Bank?

Power Banks are comprised of a special battery in a special case with a special circuit to control power flow. They allow you to store electrical energy (deposit it in the bank) and then later use it to charge up either on the mobile device or a certain number of mobile devices depending upon the capacity of power bank!

A power bank is built around a rechargeable lithium ion battery, or multiple batteries. It usually has an input and an output.

OK now let me come to a simpler definition. A Power Bank is a device which stores electrical energy in it and can be used when your phone is running on low battery! Simple, right?

How Power Bank Works?

When you press the power button, output becomes active at 5V using an internal 3.8 to 5V step up converter. This can be used to power any USB devices, such as charging cell phones and/or other gadgets.

Usually the input will be a micro USB connector as found on cell phones and other gadgets. The output connection will be similar to the rectangular connector found on most computers and chargers with sockets.

A cord with USB to micro USB connectors is supplied along with the Power Bank which can be used for charging or turned around and used for supplying power to the device.

LEDs on the Power Bank indicates charging or charged and when the output is on.

Some Technical Terms Related To Power Banks

What does mAh mean?
Batteries which common to mobile devices and Power Banks are rated on their ampere-hours, measured in milliamps to create non-decimal numbers. The mAh ratings denote capacity for power flow over a certain time period.

Efficiency
When power is transferred, there is always the loss of power due to resistance. Power Banks are not able to transfer 100% of their actual capacity to any of the devices. Efficiency ratings differ between Power Banks based on their cell type, component quality and environment conditions. Ratings between 80% and 90% are the current industry standard. Also, Beware of suspiciously low-cost options claiming efficiency ratings of over 90%.

Li-Ion & Li-Polymer

Li-Ion - Li-ion battery is a type of rechargeable battery in which lithium ions move from the negative electrode to the positive electrode during discharge and back when charging.
Li-Polymer - Lithium-ion polymer battery is a rechargeable battery of lithium-ion technology using a polymer electrolyte instead of the more common liquid electrolyte.

Lithium-Ion and Lithium-Polymer batteries are the most common rechargeable cell types found in Power Banks. Lithium-Ion cells are generally cheaper and limited in mAh capacity, while Lithium-Polymer cells can be larger and don't suffer from a memory effect over time.

Some Unknown Facts About Power Banks!

1. What does the power bank capacity signify?

Power Banks come in different sizes and the mAh figure tells us the total capacity of the batteries. In other words, the more mAh the Power Bank has, the larger the energy is having and the more times it can charge your devices.

2. What is a lifetime of a Power Banks?

Lithium-ion, including lithium-polymer batteries used in Power Banks and smartphones, eventually lose their capacity over time (typically between 200 up to 1000 cycles depending on the battery cell quality and chemical composition). The bigger the battery is, the fewer cycles you will need to charge it and the longer it will last.

3. Why some Power Banks take a longer time to charge?

Many Power Banks can only be recharged with USB, and depending on the capacity of the power bank, it can even take up to 40 hours to have it fully charged. For faster charging, you will need to have a power bank that has a higher voltage than 5V input, which normally requires charging it directly from the wall socket with an AC charger.

4. Is there any fast way to charge my Smart Phone and save Power Bank's energy?

Some phones may download updates automatically and consume more power when connected to the charger. If we really want to save energy when charging from a power bank, it is a good idea to keep the phone in Flight Mode.

5. Can a Power Bank charge laptop?

Partially yes. This is because most of the Power Banks in the market only have 5V USB output and for charging laptops, the power bank would need to have a higher voltage output 16V to 20V depending on your Laptop specifications. But there are some power banks available in the market which can charge laptops too!

How many times can a Power Bank charge a Phone?

Generally, the bigger the Power Bank and the smaller the device you're charging, the more goes you get. Other factors can also improve or limit the discharge potential of a Power Bank, so look after them and they'll work better for longer.

Well, I have a magical formula to figure out the number of charges a Power Bank can do on a single charge.
Power Bank Rating (mAh) × Efficiency × Device Depletion ÷ Device Capacity (mAh)
OK let me be a bit clear by giving an example. Let's take an example, I have a Mi 10,000 mAh Power Bank and a Redmi Note 4 having 4100 mAh Battery capacity.
10,000 mAh (Mi Power Bank) × 0.8 × 0.8 ÷ 4000 mAh (Redmi Note 4) = 1.5 charges (approximately)
So this means a Mi 10k mAh PB can charge a Redmi Note 4, 1.5 times. Amazing isn't it?

Choosing the appropriate Power Bank!
Well, if you have a specific need in mind for a Power Bank, I probably have the perfect product for you! Use my formula above to get a rough estimate of the number of charges a  Power Bank will give you before it needs to be recharged itself.

Some of the best power banks available at the moment are as below!

So above are the best Power Bank available in the market! Use my formula to figure out which one suits you the best! Simple yet amazing!!!

Final Words

So this was all about Power Banks! In conclusion, I would like to say that, Mi Power Banks is having perfectly balancing portability with great capacity. The Xiaomi Power Bank's feature list and specifications are also much bigger than you'd expect. Brilliantly designed, the Xiaomi Power Banks offer extraordinary value too.

Sources of information - 1, 2, 3, 4

Missed last sessions? Don't worry have a look at it from the below link!

[Tech With Furqaan Ep.1] Technology Behind Drones Explained!!
[Tech With Furqaan Ep.2] Android TV Box: What's That? What Do You Think?

[Tech With Furqaan Ep.3] Fitness Tracker: How It Works?

[Tech With Furqaan Ep.4] Delving Into The World Of Routers!

And now it's time for you to tell me What Technology you want me to explain next week? Post your answers below!

Rate

Number of participants 10 Experience +102 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2017-04-22 04:06:13
Favorites77 RateRate

Master Bunny

Ankur singla | from Redmi Note 3

pawer bank charge time 10000 mAh ka h Jo
2017-04-22 04:42:15

Grandmaster Bunny

akibkhan | from Redmi 4A

Awesome bro thanks for sharing
2017-04-22 05:13:57

Master Bunny

Rohit Bindal | from mobile

Awesome thread
2017-04-22 05:20:37

Grandmaster Bunny

Saajan Palta | from Redmi Note 3

Nice Thread bro
2017-04-22 07:03:31
Saajan

Pro Bunny

jeekaydas | from app

yes, this type of threads helps a lot everybody
2017-04-22 07:26:40

Master Bunny

AdarshGoyal | from Redmi Note 3

thanks for this tech.. good one... well explained.
2017-04-22 07:31:19
MIUI Translator Team

Semi Pro Bunny

Sriteja g | from Redmi Note 4

happy to know about  power bank
2017-04-22 08:24:42

Grandmaster Bunny

qamit | from Redmi Note 3

Always awesome
2017-04-22 10:09:41
Thank You..
Regards,