In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Redmi Note

Debate of the Week
Subscribed
Subscribe

[Discussion] Glass vs Plastic back. Which do you think is better?

2019-09-23 09:15:33
51552 369
Hi Mi Fans,

Smartphones have become an integral part of our day-to-day life. A few years back, only flagships used to provide smartphones with powerful specs and premium look. But today there are plenty of smartphones available in the market with amazing specs and premium finish. Basically, OEMs have started introducing new designs on the smartphone back and brands like Xiaomi is also giving premium glass back with Gorilla Glass protection in the budget segment where most brands still use Plastic.

Today I'm back with another interesting yet most argued topic glass back vs plastic back. Both the materials have their own pros and cons. So let's have a closer look at which one is more durable and premium.

Plastic back

Plastic was the most common material for smartphones due to its low cost and ability to recast it into any shape. Still, it's not vanished. Smartphones with the polycarbonate back can still be seen in the budget and the mid-range price segment. Different types of design finish can be done on the plastic back as it's easier to do so on it.

Pros
Cost:- Polycarbonate is significantly cheaper than the glass or metallic back. It not only benefits consumers but manufacturers too. Also, plastic equipment is easy to tool

RF transmission:- Our smartphones use radio waves to communicate. Plastic doesn't interfere with the network.

Durability:- Although plastic is cheap, it's still durable. Due to its flexibility, it can sustain some accidental drops.

Tons of unique designs:- This is also one of the factors of using polycarbonate/plastic backs. Designing is easier on it than glass. There are also millions of colors available making your smartphone look unique.

Cons
Look & feel:- The majority of smartphones with plastic back don't give a good in-hand feel. They don't look premium too.

Scratches- Devices with Plastic backs are prone to scratches.

Heat dissipation:- Plastic is a poor conductor of heat. In case your smartphone is heating plastic won't transfer heat at a fast rate, which is not good for the smartphone's performance.

Glass back

The OEMs used to provide glass back on their flagships for protection. Since glass adds to the final price of smartphones, so it was restricted to the flagships now. But the trend is changing. The Glass back on the budget segment smartphones are now gaining popularity. Glass in the old days used to be less durable but nowadays, OEMs use Gorilla Glass protection to make the back stronger and more durable.

Pros

Scratch-resistant:- Corning's Gorilla Glass is designed to protect smartphones back from scratches. It also protects smartphones from accidental drops.

Premium feel:- Phones with the glass back provides a premium in-hand feel. Under proper lighting conditions, glass shows stunning illusions.

Wireless charging:- Glass is a poor conductor of electricity. So it is a good material for smartphones with wireless charging.

Cons
Fingerprint stains:- The fingerprint stains in that are the glass back are frequent. So you've to wipe down it many times.

Glass is slippery:- If you're using your smartphone with wet hands, there are chances that it might slip from your hands and shatter.

I hope I was able to give you some perspective towards the use of Glass and Plastic backs. I personally prefer Glass Back over Plastic as it gives the device a premium look and feels. I'd leave this upon you all to decide which one you would prefer, the cheap plastic back or the premium glass back. Do let us know by dropping your opinions in the comments section.

Subscribe to our columns to Stay updated with interesting Debates, Polls, Tutorial and more from Device Team:
End Time: 2025-09-23 09:29:00
VS
For 248
I prefer Glass back as it looks premium is stronger than the plastic.
Against 41
I would prefer the traditional plastic back.

Rate

Number of participants 1 Experience +1 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2019-09-23 09:15:33
Favorites194 RateRate
Debate of the Week
Weekly Debates on Hot topics in the smartphones and Tech
33 Article Description     197 Subscribers
Subscribed
Subscribe

Pro Bunny

Ashish Jorwal | from app

Glass back
2019-09-23 09:41:21

Pro Bunny

Dolagobinda | from app

glass back
2019-09-23 10:01:27

Semi Pro Bunny

A j Styles | from Redmi K20 Pro

glass back is superb 👌 scratch less and beautifull look
2019-09-23 10:03:53

Rookie Bunny

5186642018 | from Redmi Note 5 Pro

Glass Back
2019-09-23 10:40:56

Grandmaster Bunny

prashanthsahu | from Redmi Note 4

now the trend is glass with elegant design and superb . A rich feel and a modern look with scratch less is much necessary now
2019-09-23 10:44:55

Techie Team

BHARATKUMAR BHAGAT | from Redmi 7

glass back is prefer most
2019-09-23 10:55:31

Advanced Bunny

Amey_007 | from Redmi Note 7 Pro

glass
2019-09-23 11:28:08

Pro Bunny

SETHU KRISHNAN | from Redmi K20

i like the glass finish