In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Mi A3

What if?
Subscribed
Subscribe

[Discussion] [#9 What If] What If there was no IR Blaster in your Smartphone

2020-01-28 08:02:49
19318 128

Hello Mi Fans…!
Welcome to yet another thread from the series What-If. Today lets talk about IR blaster and see what if it was not there in your device. In this thread, we will talk about IR blasters, its advantages and the usual trends regarding IR blaster implementation in the Indian smartphone market and see how Xiaomi is different from other brands in India.

So without any further build-up, let's get started…
IR Blaster:
An infrared blaster (or IR blaster) is a device that emulates an infrared remote control to autonomously control a device that is normally controlled only by controlled key presses. The most common use of an IR blaster is to allow a recording device such as DVD players, Home theatres and to change the channel on external tuners, such as a cable set-top box or a satellite receiver. This way, the receiving device can automatically select the correct channel to record before starting the recording process. Two other common uses are to extend infrared signals to place remote-controlled products behind closed doors and to allow mobile devices to control infrared devices. But in the mid-2010s, many smartphones included IR blasters but most manufacturers have stopped including this feature by 2018.

But for Xiaomi smartphones, IR blaster is a common feature that is barely missed out. It is always featured for Redmi phones that make it stand out from the rest in the Indian market. These devices also have a unique app for this, The Mi Remote app which offers a wide range of appliances that can be controlled by the IR blaster implemented in the device.

The app gets updated once in a while to include more and more appliances and even more home appliance brands of India. In papers, it doesn’t feel like a mindblowing feature but to be frank, it is very useful in our day to day life as most appliance we come across a day, is controlled by IR sensors. I still remember the day I switched ON the AC in an ATM counter in my city. It also helped me in switching ON AC in my training classes without searching for the real remote.

What If, IR Blaster is Missing In your device?

As I have mentioned earlier it won't seem like a feature which is out of the box, but it is very useful once you have it. It will surely ease your day to day activities occasionally for sure. Now it’s time to think of what the scenario is if your device lacks this feature. Can you stand with it? It would be very difficult for me as I use it for many appliances like AC, home theatre, Set-top box, TV, etc without even thinking about the remote. It will reduce the weight of the device as the full IR mechanism is missing from the device. It will also reduce water-resistance of the device as several numbers of holes which is an impeding factor for water resistance. So what do you think guys? What if your device lacks the IR blaster? Will you be satisfied? Let’s see what you guys think.         

That's it for today friends…!     
let us know what you think about it in the comments section below     
See you again in another thread.

Subscribe to our columns to Stay updated with interesting Debates, Polls, Tutorial and more from Device Team:

Rate

Number of participants 1 Experience +1 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2020-01-28 08:02:49
Favorites82 RateRate
What if?
Here we talk about the technology improvements and the new innovations which make you rethink on your opinions,
10 Article Description     122 Subscribers
Subscribed
Subscribe

Master Bunny

PRASAD89 | from app

My Poco Phone missing this Feature..So sad..
2020-01-30 21:33:22
G.Prasad.

Master Bunny

Ranpura | from Redmi Y2

thanks for sharing news Xiaomi Xiaomifans
2020-01-30 21:43:44

Pro Bunny

Vinod.Tikmani | from Redmi Note 4

Liked. Thank You Respected Sir.
Fantastic information shared, useful at home & in public places like ATMs, traning centers also. Which Xiaomi Devices having this feature, be shared, if you may. With Regards.
2020-01-30 22:47:48

Pro Bunny

Vinod.Tikmani | from Redmi Note 4

Device like Redmi Note 4X having this App. Have a look at screenshot I've shared. Mi Remote App/ Peel Mi Remote App, both are one and same or different? Will You Respected Sir throw some light on this?  With Regards.
#31012020_1713338307
2020-01-30 23:23:46

Master Bunny

GULSHAN YADAV | from Redmi Note 3

whitout ir blaster is no fun when i shut down projector between collage lecture.
2020-01-30 23:30:33

Pro Bunny

K.HANUMANTHACHARI | from Redmi Note 8

Super
2020-02-04 22:08:55

Master Bunny

Nitesh Varotariya | from Redmi Note 3

nice information
2020-02-08 12:48:34

Advanced Bunny

NeenaShiv | from Redmi Note 7 Pro

what is this ir blaster?