In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Mi Max

[Review&Unboxing] [Review]Hands on Mi Max: First look, Impression and performance

2016-07-06 13:11:04
118158 269
Edited by Bingo220 at 2016-07-07 08:43 PM

Hey Mi Fans,
                   Xiaomi launched Mi Max in China last month(May). As the name suggest, Its a Phablet with a big screen. Till now Redmi Note series, Mi Note and Mi Note pro were the only called phablets from the company's manufacturing line, All these device sports 5.5 to 5.7 inch of screen display respectively. But with the launch of Mi Max, Xiaomi has entered the Big screen phablet market compared to Company's last launched devices. Following the Mi Max launch in China, Mi India launched Mi Max today in Delhi in a grand event. Mi Max is big and it is better. I was lucky to get my hands on Mi Max at today's launch which were kept at display. So here is the short Introduction of Mi Max.

Key Specifications:
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 650/652, 64Bit Hexa/Octa Core Processor respectively.
  • 3GB/4GB DDR3 RAM and Adreno 510 GPU
  • 6.44 inch screen Full HD display coupled with 2.5D glass.
  • Dual Sim, LTE with VoLTE support.
  • Hybrid Sim Slot, With 128gb Micro SD support
  • 16 MP rear camera, 0.1s ultra-fast PDAF(Phase Detection Auto Focus).
  • Front 5 MP camera with 85 degrees wide angle.
  • Upgraded Premium Sunlight display
  • 4850 mAh Li Polymer battery
  • Finger Print sensor
  • Metal Body with Corning Gorilla Glass 3.
  • Android 6.0.1 with MIUI 7, Out of the Box.
  • Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, InfraRed, GPS, USB OTG support.
  • Mi Max comes in 2 variants 3GB+ 32GB ROm and 4GB+128GB ROM.

Build and Design:
One look and you are in love with Mi Max. Like all Devices and Products of Xiaomi, Mi Max does not disappoint at your expectations. First thing comes to our mind when it comes to design of Phablets, Is that the Phablets are heavy and bulky but Mi Max changes all the perception and equations of phablets, Mi Max is lighter in weight compared to other phablets in market. When you hold this device in hand, You really feel comfortable because of the curved edge at both ends as well the bazels have curves which makes it more easier. Phablets are usually bulky, heavy and looks less impressive in design but Mi Max looks stunning, Sleek and light in weight.

Unlike Redmi Note 3 and Mi 5 with a complete golden color on its front and back, Mi Max comes in dual color combination with gold in back and white infront, And its looks better than Iphone 6S which uses same combination of color. If you look at Display screen, First you will think that the display is protruding out, But it is not, It is the 2.5D glass which makes the contoured edge also the Glass is scratch resistant protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 3. Obviously, if you going to keep phablet in your pocket then it will tend to get scratches from keys, coins etc. So Gorilla Glass 3 will be helpful in this situation. Battery is non removable so is the back panel. Finger Print sensor of Mi Max is on the back panel unlike at front of Mi 5. In Redmi Note 3 rear camera is placed just above the Finger Print sensor but in Mi Max rear camera is placed just at the top left corner of the back panel more like Mi Note. Front Panel has 3 capacitive buttons Menu, Home and Back respectively. Ear Speaker is well placed between Proximity sensor and Selfie Camera. At the top of the frame there is 3.5mm jack for headphones, Infrared port and noise cancellation mic. Right side of the panel you get Volume Keys and Power button. On The left side you get Sim card tray. Below the frame, You will get Micro USB port and the 8 holes is of loudspeaker. To round up the Build and Design of Mi Max, Mi Max has stunning looks, sturdy build, Light in weight, Fits comfortably in your hand as well go in your pocket.

Hardware:
Mi Max is powered by1.8 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 650 HexaCore processors, 2 x ARM Cortex A72  and 4 x ARM Cortex A53. CPU sports Adrena 510 GPU to give maximum and best graphics output. The Processor and GPU is well supported by 3GB DDR3 RAM which makes multitasking. Combination of Snapdragon 650, Adreno 510 GPU and 3GB DDR3 RAM gives out performance which is equal to premium range phones. Internal storage is 32GB but storage capacity can be increased with the help of Hybrid sim slot. Mi Max is a phablet so obviously it will have a bigger screen, It has 6.44 inch screen with Full HD display and it is well protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 3. Screen has 342 pixel density and 2.5D Glass. Due to presence of 2.5D glass there is slight curvature at the display of Mi Max, Increasing your experience while operating. The device also has Sun Light Display, Latest upgraded sunlight display uses “Pixel Level dynamic contrast technology”, Each pixel gets adjusted with brightness according to its ambient light. Mi Max has hybrid sim slot with LTE support. Means either you can use Micro Sim card + Nano Sim card or you can use Micro Sim card + Micro Sd card. Mi Max supports 4G+ network which is faster than the 4G network as well as the device supports VoLTE.

Rear Camera of Mi Max is 16 Mega Pixel. Rear camera has Dual Image Sensor processor (ISP) allows you to take high definition image with its 0.1 seconds ultra fast Phase Detection Auto Focus (PDAF). You can record FHD videos at 30fps and HD slow motion videos at 120fps. Rear camera has f 2.0 aperture and 5p lens element. Front Camera of Mi Max is 5 Mega Pixel and has many latest beautify effects. To capture good selfies it has 85 degress of wide angle also the front cam has f 2.0 aperture. Mi Max has Infra Red, 4.1 bluetooth, Wi Fi supports dual band (2.5GHz and 5Ghz) with Wi-Fi Direct and USB OTG support.

Gaming Performance:
Mi Max is a phablet which is in Mid Range section but the combination of Qualcomm SD 650, Adreno 510 GPU and 3GB DDR3 RAM gives you the output of some premium level phones. GPU and RAM of Mi Max ensures a smooth game play without lags. Also 6.44inch big screen with 2.5D glass enhances your  game play experience. After playing Modern Combat 5 for 20 Minutes battery temperature was just 39 degrees. I love to play Modern Combat, So here is the game play of MC5 on Mi Max.

Due to Screen recorder quality of the Video is compromised from 1080p to 480p.

Camera Performance:
I'm not a  person who take pictures often but Mi Max is making me to do so, Every click of mine makes me believe that I should start some photography page on facebook. 16 MP rear camera of Mi Max captures picture with every minute details. Most of the time I used HDR mode and results were just awesome. Even the low light pictures were better than the expectations. Due to PDAF, Capturing HD pictures was smooth and fast. Here are some pictures clicked by Mi Max.

Selfie Camera was able to produce good selfies. Beautify profiles of front camera will make you change your Social Media Display pictures regularly, Inshort Front camera will make you like a celebrity. I was not able to click a big group picture but even taking normal selfie I was able to cover wide area in background because of 85 degrees wide image capturing angle.

UI Performance:
Mi Max runs on Android 6.0.1 and has MIUI ROM. With the above mentioned hardware and added MIUI ROM, Your phone operation experience also becomes max. MIUI has well optimized hardware of this device to give best output. During normal phone operations there was no lag. So I tried to go with stress test with multiple heavy apps. Even after running apps like Facebook, Whatsapp, BBM, Clash of Clans, Viber, Telegram, Twitter, Hangout in background, There were no lags while playing Modern Combat 5. The Sunlight display enhanced my phone operation experience during daytime outside on road. I was able to read messages, Notes , articles without putting stress on my eyes.

Battery Performance:

Mi Max has massive 4850 mAh battery. After using a phone for 2 days, Battery of Mi Max lasted for 1 day while using a 4G network, Heavy Gaming (MC5), Social App(Whatsapp, Telegram, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) Browsing etc . To futher test the battery, After the battery percentage dropped to 20%, I turned on Google Maps and started navigating from one point to another. I travlled 9kms around 55 mins in Pune's traffic. But after reaching home when I checked battery, It was showing 14%. So you can not, Infact no one can not doubt the battery life of Mi Max.  If you are heavy phone user who loves performance but looking for good battery life, You should go for Mi Max.

Benchmark:
Many users do not consider benchmark scores, Infact Real time performance and Benchmark performance are always different. But if your phone is performing on benchmark apps then you always have rights to brag the scores. Here are some benchmark app test on Mi Max.

Box Content:
Xiaomi has ditched its old brown box and has been using white colored box which feels smoother compared to old box. Infront you will see Mi Max written in Big font, Back side of the box you will find all the specifications of device as usual. Inside the Box you will find Mi Max, Sim ejector tool, Instruction Manual, 2A Wall Charger, Micro USB cable

Verdict:
Mi Max completes all your expectations when it comes to Gaming, Camera, Battery and UI operations. Performance of this phone will make you realise that you have spent your money on right place. Mi Max is the lone warrior in the Phablet market with 6.4inch display size and looking at the specifications and price, It will remain unbeatable. It is loaded with MIUI ROM , Which is loaded with many features. So if you are looking for phablet which has high performance with perfect price tag, Then Mi Max is your device.

Rate

Number of participants 31 Experience +66 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2016-07-06 13:11:04
Favorites53 RateRate
Was waiting for such a article. Thanks for sharing :)
2016-07-06 13:12:59
When Curiosity Meets Knowledge, Innovation is Born!!
Photography Section Mod | Lead Photography Team and Club | Mi Pad Mod
Thanks for the handson description.
2016-07-06 13:17:57
Proud Mi Fan
Thanks bro for in detail guide.  
2016-07-06 13:21:42
Thanks for your hardwork. Very well written hands on review.
2016-07-06 14:42:00

Grandmaster Bunny

Radmax | from mobile

Thanks for the article,  its a good review.
2016-07-06 20:12:18
Mi Rox your box.

Grandmaster Bunny

Vicky_2121 | from mobile

Nice Review......
2016-07-07 00:27:04
WHAAAAAAAT A PHONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2016-07-07 03:01:23

Grandmaster Bunny

Vicky_2121 | from mobile

Nice Review.....
2016-07-07 03:13:40
great article
2016-07-07 03:22:41
Suryam
whaat a great review
2016-07-07 03:23:10
Something wonderful is about to happen...[url=https://c.mi.com/in/static/image/smiley/comcom/6.gif]ht