In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Tech

[Discussion] [Tech VR] Part I : The Basics!

2016-11-20 12:18:11
15766 418

Hi Mi Fans!
Virtual Reality (VR) is not an uncommon term these days. Landscape survey, product launches and many happenings across the globe are being captured and streamed using VR technology. The images are projected in front of your eyes and make you feel as a live spectator. VR slightly differs from 3D as in VR the environment is interactive and responsive to one’s movements. A myriad of VR headsets are available in the market to cater to your curiosity and mobile phone makers are constantly evolving their hardware specs so that VR support becomes a basic feature of their devices. As a VR enthusiast I would brief out certain basic elements to be taken care of to make your VR experience better.

1.  Device display
A mobile screen which flaunts brilliant, superior and better color reproduction is VR friendly. If the screen packs more pixels per inch (ppi), our VR experience goes from moderate to best. A FHD display is fundamental and one’s expectation goes up with 2K display. I have used Redmi Note 3 with a generic VR headset and I must say my VR experience was far better than I expected. Moreover, type of display is also a critical factor. Today, LCD display is generally used by smart phone makers but AMOLED is sought by technocrats for better contrast, vibrant colors and better viewing angles. Currently, AMOLED display seems promising if one is really looking for impressive and immersive VR experience.
Type of display and pixel density are key features of a device to make a good VR experience

2. The VR Headset
This section is perhaps the most pertinent to deal with VR basics. A VR headset is undeniably a very critical element. VR experience relies on what kind of VR headset you own. If you have shelled out enough money to buy a good mobile device (or probably the best one!) then I recommend shelling out a little more and buying a decent VR headset. Nobody wants to spoil a feast with a bad starter! Here is an outline about VR headsets currently available in market.

A VR headset should essentially sport three elements: Compatible, Comfortable and Convincing

Basic VR Headsets: These are ultra affordable and one of the prototypes of VR headsets which are still in use. It comes with a cardboard box fitted with a pair of plastic lenses. Many companies have come up with this cheaper version and they are good enough if you are still in an experimental phase with VR tech. These headsets come with only one drawback: Less comfortable for prolonged VR sessions. Cardboard supports the basic VR functions and interactions which one needs but if more than one key presses is required, we are left unaided. Within INR 500, these headsets are ready to give you a kick start!

Mid Range VR Headsets: This is an improved version of the first generation VR headsets which sports durable plastic casing and fabric head straps to give justice to ‘Comfort factor’. These headsets can endure a long VR session and they come with adjustment knobs to adjust the distance between lenses and also that between your device screen and lenses. The manufacturers are particular about optics and use lenses of superior quality. The nosepiece is thickly padded to comfortably rest on your nose.  They have buttons to interact with VR content and cuts off stray light which may hamper your VR experience as in cardboard. With these plus points, these headsets certainly bear a higher price tag. The cost roughly ranges from INR 2000 to 6000. It is better to make some empirical research before buying one.

High end VR Headsets: These are one of the best VR headsets and the manufacturer names associated with big tech giants. These VR headsets give you plenty of controls and can be used with laptops and gaming consoles. A higher resolution support, motion sensors and capable of playing almost every VR content available today truly makes it a show stopper. The only downside is the price and your device should possess high end specs to make these headsets compatible. These headsets are only for VR lovers who are quite generous to spend on this hefty VR gear! The price ranges from INR 15k and above.

3. VR Content
The evolving VR hardware is creating a concurrent pressure on VR content. A library of apps and games are available on Google Play and other such platforms. Newest apps and videos are surfacing and there is already lot to consume regarding existing VR content. In the section I would just like to mention that one would never find it hard to procure VR content. Definitely one has to pay for premium stuff and a better VR experience will soon follow. 3D movies can be enjoyed without any hiccups on any of the above mentioned VR headsets.

A VR library of videos, games and apps awaits for VR enthusiasts

Finally, I believe that VR Tech is making rapid strides and it is one of the best creative fabrications standing out in the world of technology. At this juncture, it seems impressive, exciting and unique. The mundane media consumption is taking up a revolutionary makeover. It’s only the acceptance of masses that will create a secure space for this tech to survive and thrive in future.

Stay tuned for the next article on Quick VR Setup!

Image Credits: Google Images

Rate

Number of participants 14 Experience +153 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2016-11-20 12:18:11
Favorites74 RateRate

Master Bunny

Abhimanyu Jagtap | from MI MAX

Nice information
2016-11-20 12:20:50
Thanks,
Abhimanyu.....
Great article, thanks for sharing with us!!! :)
2016-11-20 12:21:09

Grandmaster Bunny

Gowthi | from MI MAX

thanks for this great thread
2016-11-20 12:26:10

Semi Pro Bunny

Farah | from mobile

Wow! A very crispy article!  Thanks buddy.
2016-11-20 12:29:46

Semi Pro Bunny

RahulMee | from Redmi 3S

cool, thanks for sharing.
2016-11-20 12:30:14

Master Bunny

Rohit Bindal | from mobile

Great article bro
2016-11-20 12:30:18
Very useful info bro. Thanks for sharing :)
2016-11-20 12:35:41

Master Bunny

Tarun Ku Singh | from Redmi Note 3

good thread... thanks for sharing
2016-11-20 12:58:35

Master Bunny

Nm sharfu | from Redmi Note 3

Nice......
2016-11-20 13:24:38

Mi FC President

AmiT Joshi | from Redmi Note 3

pretty cool information