In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

MIUI General

[MIUI Review] [MIUI 8 Review] A Mighty Successor And An Elegance Beyond Imagination

2016-07-08 19:51:27
31948 71
Edited by PawanRockz at 2016-07-08 07:51 PM

Hello MIUIers,

Today I am going to review our hot new updated OS-MIUI 8.
As we all know the design of MIUI 8 comes from the concept of kaleidoscope.It generates huge diversity in the form of its new and beautiful design.MIUI 8 still using a menu interface, system icons and MIUI 7 version also no big change.  But in the details, MIUI 8 change is still very large.

Colors here are used to convey information in materialistic design and simplicity.

The animations here are something which cannot be ignored.They Are cool ,logical as well as useful.System apps such as dialer, calender, contacts has their own unique color .

When MIUI 8 booted for the first time for me , i didnt observed much change. But when i started using it ,I started experiencing its new features over and over like crazy. I made this review based on my usage of many weeks and tried to explained all features in detail .

I made this review colourfully presentable also which depicts our lovely Colorful MIUI 8 :D
So lets start with our review.

Caution : This Review Contains More than 200 Images And Gifs . You will get the high visual experience only if you have a good data plan :p

I explained all the Features ,Basic Experience and Redesigned System Apps in This Detailed Review. This Includes :

• Notification Shade / Status Bar
  • Messaging app
  • Contacts
  • Phone
  • Dialer
  • Caller ID
  • Mi Lanting Font
  • Wallpaper carousel
  • Mi cloud
  • Gallery
  • Long screenshots
  • New video editor
  • Miui scanner
  • Calculator
  • Notes App
  • Dual Apps
  • Sound Recorder
  • Updater App
  • Camera App
  • Calendar
  • Lock screen
  • Battery saver
  • Theme store
  • Security app
  • Settings page
  • Quick Ball
  • Volume and Sound
  • Recents tray
  • Second Space
  • Wheather app
  • Overall Performance

Set Up

Set up has a whole new look. You will enjoy doing it haha..
But really I loved the flat look . The MIUI 8 icon looks amazing . It is more materalistic. You will have options to backup data from mi cloud as always. Also you will se the blur bubble new look. You will also see MI setup options like restore from previous device, Mi cloud, Find device and more.

NOTIFICATION SHADE / STATUS BAR
It now offers a great ui look. The weather above notification shade  shows respective animation and scenery of what the wheather is outside.The Status Bar in MIUI 8 has been modified into a card deck style which is super awesome! The length of the status bar is depend on the number of existing notification types.
The notification shade now offers a much more dynamic experience, with core functions exposed and hidden through delicate scrolling. The noticeable changes is definitely the immersed status bar and the color tone used are more refreshing.Now you have choice to see your Notifaction panel and status Bar in Single page or Dual page. For that you just need to go to,Settings--->Notifications and Status Bar-->Single Page/ Dual Page.

MESSAGING APP
First of all let me talk about messaging.Previously MIUI managed to create groups of a particular group of people in message app. Now it's a whole lot more. Now messaging app gives option to do certain things below a message you receive. Like say you received a message from Airtel or Vodafone, you will get an option of recharge below it. If you received a message from book my show , you will get an option of Add booking calendar to it.
MIUI provides helpful action buttons directly below messages from businesses and services,  allowing you to take action with just one tap.I liked it very much.

PHONE

Now when you receive a call you will see redesigned icons .Organised answer,reject and quick sms guides.The call notes feature have been added to ongoing calls.Also there is a new animation when you disconnect or reject a call which I found out very cool.Full marks here as well.

CONTACTS
You will see a new icon for New contact option as well as great T9 search. Also xiaomi has done a great job here as T9 search also supports Hindi now.Contacts now have a new design with different default picture.Many new features are also added here like favorites option near call history. History option have been added near numbers so it is convenient.Mi takes all marks here as well.

DIALER
Dialer is redesigned as well. It is lot more convenient as well. Options menu is now at the bottom of the dialer which I liked very much. We can now access blacklist,setting in just a single click.
MIUI 8 is now the first os to support T9 Sesrch in Hindi which is right at the sweet spot.

CALLER ID
It now helps in avoiding scam calls like insurance,tutor calls with a xiaomi's own database.All of us hate to receive calls from unknown numbers or i would rather label them as spam.I t can recognise scam calls , calls from recognised brands like Airtel,vodaphone. You can also Labe scam which is a scam call so that others don't get caught in their trap.

MI LANTING FONT
If you work on phones the whole day, this feature is for you. Mi LANTING font provides great usability.
This font is awesome. You might not notice a huge difference but now provides a great viewing experience. Even if you use you smartphone for say 6 hours your eyes will not be strained and red again .  

WALLPAPER CAROUSAL
Xiaomi have done a lot better this time . They have partnered with 50 media's which will provide you better and better wallpapers everyday for daily Wallpapers. Just select categories of wallpapers you love and any you are done. Now enjoy the wallpapers everyday. I loved this feature.

MI CLOUD
Ever wondered which internal aspect t of your smartphone eats you internal storage. Well the answer is easy , photos.
In Mi Cloud this time you can sync up to 90% percent of your storage and only the high resolution will be there for preview. Say that you have 10 GB of pics. Mi Cloud can sync up to 9 GB of that space and bang you are done. I don't need a SD card now . Haha.

REDESIGNED GALLERY
Bored of the previous gallery ? From now you have a whole lot to experience. Gallery has been powered by more and more effects and filters. You can polish the pics captured by you by newly added effects in Gallery. In Gallery you can adjust Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, Sharpen, crop and Doodle Images. Its like an Instagram.We can now share pics by just swiping up . We can now doodle our images for fun inside the app itself. Ever feeled angry because you have to open the image to see panorama or screen shot? From now you don't have to worry. If I now take a screen shot or a panorama they have there own way of displaying. Panorama displays in full image as it is captured in screenshots are displayed in rectangular shape thats what we want ;)
Gallery also shows the number of photos you selected now.

LONG SCREENSHOTS
I still remember how I used to share a recipe of my mom's pudding. I used to share by clicking screenshots from a website haha. From now it's a whole lot simple. I can use long screenshots. Yeah they can be really long. Also is you don't want a particular part of that screenshot you can crop it by precise editing. Right at the sweet spot.

How to use it ?
  • Take a screenshot.
  • It will be available for preview kust for 5 seconds. Click it and then click expand.
  • Expand it till where you want to expand.
  • Crop it if you don't want a particular part .

NEW VIDEO EDITOR
Well I have a YouTube channel and I know that video editing is tough. In Miui 8 we can do whatever we want to do in the app itself. What we can do ? We can edit the part we want , add sound to the part , change effect, add stickers and a lot more.It offers many things to do. Full marks here as well.

MIUI 8 SCANNER
Ever wondered what a scanner can do ?
In MIUI 8 it can do a lot. You can give you smartphone to you cousins and children for there homework and they will get the answer for there problems. Just snap a pic of there difficult question and this scanner will answer pretty quickly with step by step solution
This scanner can also be used in shopping. Don't know the name of the product. Just scan and it will tell you.You can also use the scanner to scan and purchase items online. It's simple as ABC, take out your phone and make sure it's connected to internet and you may start scanning the barcodes ! Pretty useful right.

REDESIGNED CALCULATOR
Previously on calculator you can just calculate stuff. Now we can use this app a lot more. We can calculate how much 420 dollar is in inr , convert temperatures,currencies,s scientific calculation by just using the app Full marks in this aspect as well.

REDESIGNED NOTES APP
In MIUI 8 I experienced a new redesigned notes app with new animations. If you want to note something just click on that plus icon relaxing on the bottom right corner. You want to delete it ? Just swipe with 2 fingers and bingo you are done.Lots of beautiful templates for you to choose from and grid view for better navigation.
This notes app also gives you the priority to lock and unlock your notes with finger print and passcode. Pretty cool yeah.

DUAL APPS
Ever wondered that you cannot separate your professional life and personal life .
From now you can , with dual apps. I found this feature very very helpful. I wanted 2 WhatsApp and 2 Facebook apps in my smartphone from starting and miui fulfilled my dream. Now I can use both WhatsApp for professional as well as personal life. This feature is not restricted ,we can use this for any app.

How to use ?
  • Open settings
  • Scroll to cloned Apps
  • Open it and choose any app you want to clone.
  • It will take a second or 2 to clone it.
  • have fun and talk to both your girlfriend's.lol

SOUND RECORDER
The interface of sound recorder in MIUI 8 has been improved.Its more materalistic and flat now. Button is round as always. The sea blue color theme is super match with the waving pattern of the recorder.

REDESIGNED UPDATER APP
MIUI 8 has a circular design in its updater app compared to MIUI 7 which uses triangular. It is more flat and materialistic now. I loved the bubble like design .It also gives us a more spacious feel with its interface.

REDESIGNED CAMERA APP
Here some features are removed as well as added. First of all swipe up to change between font and rear camera have been removed. We can no longer swipe right it change effects. Tap on the Three Circles at the left corner to access filters. Filters will come in Strip mode.But the animation of changing between camera and video is changed which looks cool now.
HDR option and the Flash On and Off option is at the top of the Camera UI. Quite handy right.

REDESIGNED CALENDAR
Here too no added feature but it offers a whole new design. If you switch between months ,it will adapt to color of that months wheather.If it's January it will show blur color. If it's June it will show red color. Which I found ultra cool.

LOCK SCREEN
The lock screen have been changed as well . It shows kaleidoscope and a materialistic cool design which can be reflected in clock as well. I found it pretty cool.

BATTERY SAVER
If you are playing you favourite games say like clash of clans and you smartphone touches 45° degree point, MIUI 8 will pop a message to cool down. Click on it and it will lead you to the battery saver . there you can see all the apps which are eating your battery and click on optimize. It will do its job perfectly .The optimize button in app screen is the one-tap solution to optimize the entire device to consume less battery. The app will automatically reduce the battery consumption by killing the unnecessary background processes and the apps that using a lot of battery charge.

THEME STORE
Theme stores app has been optimized in MIUI 8 as well. Now we can switch to Wallpaper, Ringtone and Font by swiping the title to the left and right. The top bar will change color when you switch between the titles.In customize option the "Lock screen" and "Home screen" options are merged into "Wallpaper" page. There is also a shortcut key to backup our current theme under the options.

SECURITY APP
Some features have been removed here as well. We cannot switch between battery profiles. We don't have data saver feature. However Battery saver here have been simplified.we have a new battery analyzer feature in MIUI 8, which can be accessed at Battery Menu. Just click the button "analyze battery usage" and it will give us a details preview on our battery status.

SETTINGS PAGE
In MIUI 8 settings page is also optimized. We have app lock and permission in the settings now.There are two new MIUI 8 features added to the settings page: Second Space and Cloned Apps.

QUICK BALL / TOUCH ASSISTANT
I am sure that you all wanted a feature like AssistiveTouch which is in iOS but is glitchy in my opinion. MIUI now introduced feature in this version which is super handy. I found it more Usefull than one handed mode. We have 5 shortcuts there which is super customizable. We have back , home,recents tray,lock , screenshot options in default. It is one of the most awesome features here.

How to use it?
  • Go to settings
  • Go to additional settings
  • Go to shortcut menu
  • Turn that on
  • You can customize it also

VOLUME AND SOUND
If you Increase or Decrease Volume, You will get a drop down menu from which you can control the sound of Media and Alarm. No need to follow the lengthy procedure to enter settings and do the changes.

RECENTS TRAY
You can now toggle music as it on top of recents tray to utilize the total space. Also we can now toggle to page view and icon view as well by tapping a button on top right. Also if we swipe an app down in recents tray it have 2 options now. They are lock and info which is quite Usefull.

SECOND SPACE
It feels like owning 2 devices because of second space. I have 2 now separate spaces now. One for personal and one for professional. Simply unlock with one password if you want to go in space A and unlock with 2nd password if you want to go in space B pretty cool right . You can keep whatever you want to keep in second space. From data to videos, games to movies. only you will be able to open it. Even pc will not be able to access the data. Privacy at its top it is. This feature changed the definition for OS for a smartphone for me.hahaha. I liked it very much.

REDESIGNED WHEATHER APP

Wheather all is now fully redesigned. It offers materialistic design. The color of the page changes with the time and wheather outside which I loved. If you want to change location just tap on the 3 dots present on top right corner.

OVERALL PERFORMANCE

With every MIUI update there is always performance improvements and this time around it also nailed it. MIUI 8 is much smoother and faster than MIUI 7. Animations feel fast and smooth without adding delay or any slow down. You will definitely enjoy performance improvements and dope animations.

VERDICT

In my opinion MIUI 8 is best as it is. It offers a lot more compared to miui 7 and miui 6. There are lot of implementations and modification in this versions which I loved especially second space,long screenshots , and cloned apps. I would not think twice before giving MIUI 8 the tag of best OS ever.

This was my review of MIUI 8 . Hope you liked it . I tried my best to make this review helpful after weeks of Usage of MIUI 8 and understanding its features.

Thanks, Signing off
Pawan

Rate

Number of participants 13 Experience +30 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2016-07-08 19:51:27
Favorites18 RateRate
Awesome review. Nice and creative gifs. Truly, Nice efforts!
2016-07-08 20:04:35
When Curiosity Meets Knowledge, Innovation is Born!!
Photography Section Mod | Lead Photography Team and Club | Mi Pad Mod

Semi Pro Bunny

banchha | from mobile

Useful information....
2016-07-08 20:41:11

Admin

Awesome ,bro ! i love your thread so much !
2016-07-11 17:27:57

Master Bunny

PawanRockz Author |

Lewis.L replied at 2016-07-11 05:27 PM
Awesome ,bro ! i love your thread so much !

Thanks very much for appreciation. Looking forward to contribute more :)
2016-07-11 17:41:39

Master Bunny

Squrabh | from mobile

Thanks buddy
2016-07-11 20:19:49

Pro Bunny

RazaRaza | from mobile

Thanks for the detailed Review
2016-07-11 20:32:19
REALLY MI MAX IS A NEW BIG

Pro Bunny

Anmol0404 | from mobile

Wow! Must have been a lot of work and awesome thread btw, keep up the good work
2016-07-11 21:45:20
The Creator ANMOL

Master Bunny

ram0209 | from mobile

Looks awesome! Looking forward for the release.
2016-07-11 22:27:34
RAM
____
  .  .
Awesome.... Thanks for the detailed review
2016-07-11 22:44:26
Telegram: @michaelliao07
Twitter: @michaelliao07

Miui Global Beta Tester
Additional Current Device
Very well done! Love it!

But do specify this is MIUI 8 CHINA not GLOBAL.
2016-07-11 23:01:53
I've got a blog that I occasionally write on!
You can find it here at nightlytech.wordpress.com