In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Redmi Note 5

[Tips] Google Camera for Redmi Note 5 with working Portrait mode, Slow Motion Video, HDR+

2018-05-13 10:33:22
31788 111
Hello Mi FANs,
In this Thread, I'm sharing the procedure to get fully working Google Camera with Portrait Mode, Slow Motion Video recording, and HDR+ on Redmi Note 5.

Disclosure: I did not develop any of the apk's nor invent any of the steps in this procedure. I searched a lot of posts and Threads in Mi Community, Mi Forums, and Xda-developers, after a lot of trial and error I found the best procedure which gives fully working Google Camera. If anyone found or know a better way than this method, Please share the same.
Let's get started,

Step 1:
First, you need to unlock the bootloader,
for this follow this wonderful post "Learn how to unlock the Bootloader of your Mi Phone" by ROuser
Step 2:
Next, you need to install TWRP recovery,
for this follow this wonderful post "How To Flash TWRP and Root Redmi Note 5 (Vince)" by Naman Mishra
Step 3:
After successfully installing TWRP and Magick as instructed in Step 2, Download an app called BuildProp Editor, click on three_dots(menu) on the top right corner and click on New now enter the Name as below:
persist.camera.HAL3.enable and value as 1
and save the file. this step actually enables Camera2api which is required for Google Camera to work.
Note: After adding the above line if all your Mi apps like themes and Mi app store starts appearing in Chinese don't freak out, just add additional two lines using the BuildProp editor as
ro.miui.region value as IN
ro.miui.cust_variant value as en
do not type value as also, only enter the text in color. this two lines will explicitly mention that the region is India and Language is English for the Mi apps.

Step 4:
This is the step where I did a lot of trial and error of downloading lot of Google camera apk's, the problem is that each Google Camera apk's which we get in net will be tweaked to work for a particular device. most of it is developed for oneplus devices (3t) and it will not work perfectly on Note 5.
the best Google Camera apk which I found for Redmi Note 5 is in this link.
I found this apk in the following post  "Working Google Camera/Portrait Mode for Redmi 5 Plus aka Note 5" by TJay10

Step 5: (Last Step )
After Installing the apk
Open settings, then change the (Config Camera HDR+) to (Nexus 6 HDR+Auto )

That's it. Now your Note 5 camera just rocks.

Note: The Google Camera app do crash many times while taking photos and when viewing the taken photos. My personal suggestion is that don't view the taken photo immediately after taking the snap, as you will see processing bar on the top right if you view it immediately! I would recommend to view them after few seconds.

some of you might thinking why follow so much procedure to get a simple camera app working, but as most of us already know the power of that simple Google camera app. if you'r not convenced or in doubt of its power here are the sample pictures I took from it.

I tried to get those two portrait pics to aligh stright, but they are uploading by being turning right.
Thank you.
Any suggestinons and tips are most welcome.

Rate

Number of participants 1 Experience +15 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2018-05-13 10:33:22
Favorites102 RateRate

Pro Bunny

vinay.vstar | from Redmi Note 5

awesome work
2018-05-13 10:37:01

Super Moderator

Naman Mishra | from Redmi Note 3

Nice thread... Thanks for sharing
2018-05-13 11:23:09

Advanced Bunny

pkn_46 Author | from Redmi Note 5

Naman Mishra
Nice thread... Thanks for sharing

thank you.
2018-05-13 11:25:07

Grandmaster Bunny

naresh0218 | from Redmi 3S

nice.........
2018-05-13 11:47:42

Pro Bunny

Reza 1714367720 | from Mi A1

One issue with GCam is that native video calls do not support on Jio Sim.
2018-05-13 12:46:56

Advanced Bunny

jvmech | from Redmi Note 5

why mi follow this and make development and provide for all users
2018-05-13 12:50:05

Pro Bunny

imcool.das | from Redmi Note 5

thanks bro for proper guide
2018-05-13 12:53:37

Rookie Bunny

1820597651 | from Redmi 5 Plus

Hi.I want install google camera on redmi 5 plus and active api2 .some people say it is immpossible on lens of omnivision.is that right?
2018-05-13 13:06:18

Advanced Bunny

pkn_46 Author | from Redmi Note 5

Hi.I want install google camera on redmi 5 plus and active api2 .some people say it is immpossible o ...

I don't know whether redmi 5 plus aka note 5 in India is omnivision or not. either case this procedure just works fine with 5 plus (note 5)
2018-05-13 13:11:24

Semi Pro Bunny

zoomin_photoz | from Redmi Note 5

will try soon ✌️
2018-05-13 13:17:20