In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Redmi Note 4

[Review&Unboxing] In Depth Review of Redmi Note 4: Beautifully Powerful.

2017-01-22 02:24:37
11088 330
Edited by Bingo220 at 2017-01-31 09:30 AM

Hey Mi fans,                                                     

Mi India Started this New Year with a Bang. Yes, They launched a New Budget device which promises to break all the records of its Predecessor.  The Predecessor I'm talking about is Redmi Note 3 and The Newly launched Phone is non other than Redmi Note 4. You can't ask a perfect upgrade rather than Redmi Note 4 for Redmi Note 3. Xiaomi is playing really well its Smartphone upgradation everytime. Like they did with Redmi 3S for Redmi 2 and so on. In Redmi Note 4 there is upgradation in every aspect from design to Battery, Xiaomi has covered all the grounds perfectly. Like wise Redmi Note 3, Even Redmi Note 4 came with " Mi Explorer Campaign". The only difference this time that it was secret campaign. Explorers were given Code name, Even I was a Mi Explorer and was known as Jolt. Like I said, I was one of the explorer so I got the chance to try my hands on the Phone before the launch and explore it. So all the conclusion I did during my exploration time to let me put them forward infront of you.

Before Starting the review, One thing I will like to mention is Redmi Note 4  made its global debut in India before China and it carries a swag. Why I'm saying this? You will come to know as you keep reading this thread further. Almost in every aspect Redmi Note 4 is superior to Redmi Note 3 especially it comes to real time performance. So before going through in details, Here is the short introduction to Redmi Note 4 with specifications.

Specifications

• 2.0 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 625, Octa Core Processor.
  • Chipset based on 14nm FinFET Process Technology.( More power efficient)
  • 5.5 inch screen with Full HD display.
  • 2.5 D Glass.
  • Supports 4G+ network
  • 13 MP BSI CMOS Camera, ultra-fast PDAF  (Phase Detection Auto Focus).
  • Front 5 MP camera f2.0 with Smart and Pro Beautify.
  • Supports Voice over LTE (VoLTE).
  • 4100mAh battery (25 % more battery performance than its Predecessor).
  • Hybrid Sim Slot.
  • Finger Print Scanner.
  • Infra Red.
  • Device comes in 3 models, 2GB /32GB, 3GB/32 GB, 4GB/64Gb (RAM/Storage respectively).
  • Comes with MIUI 8 and Android M out of the box but upgradable to Android N, Preview ROM is available

Hardware

Since  Redmi Note 4 is upgrade to Redmi Note 3 so most of my views about the hardware of this phone is in reference to its predecessor. Before going in details if I have to describe this phone in short words then, You cant ask for better upgrade to Redmi Note 3 with what Xiaomi has kept under the hood of its latest phone. Redmi Note 4 is triggered by 2.0 GHZ Octacore Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 Processor which is more power efficient, To be specific 20% more efficient than Redmi Note 3 with A53 cores. The CPU is based on 14nm FinFET technology as comapred to 28nm Technology of Redmi Note 3. If i have to explain this base of technology in most simple words, Then the same process technology has been used in Google Pixel, Samsung S7 Edge and Moto Z.The device sports a powerful Adreno 506 GPU to give you the finest experience during the Game Play. Game Play of this phone is really a class which I will cover in my next segment. Talking about the RAM of this phone then basically all the variants are driven by LPDDR3 RAM, But numerically RAM differs variant to variant. The Redmi Note 4's look is enhanced by its 5.5 inch FHD display with perfect pixel density with 2.5D glass which makes countoured edges. It also has Sunlight Display in which each pixel gets adjusted with brightness of ambient light. Redmi Note 4 has dual hybrid sim slot. So either you can use one Micro and one Nano sim or One Micro and SD card. The phone officially supports 128GB of SD card. The phone supports 4G+ network support which is faster than normal 4G network coupled with VoLTE support.

Rear Shooter camera is 13 MP BSI CMOS sensor with dual LED flash. It has 1.12 micron pixels which is 25% larger than 1.0 micron pixels of Redmi Note 3's camera because of this it captures mjore light in photos. Selfie camera of the smartphone is 5 MP with f/2.0 aperture. The selfie camera also has smart and pro beautify effects for better selfies. The newly launched phone by Xiaomi carries the tag as "The New King of Battery" with it. The Phone's massive 4100 mAH battery backs up the phone for a long marathon run. Redmi Note 4 has very impressive and responsive Finger Print sensor at the back which can be used to unlock phone & Hiden Folders as well as to click photos with camera. Then you have Infrared, Bluetooth 4.1 and USB OTG support. The Phone comes with 3 different variants 2GB/32GB, 3GB/32GB, 4GB/64GB (RAM/Flash Storage respectively)

Build and Design

Redmi Note 4 comes with lots of minor improvemements compared to Redmi Note3. The Phone is crafted in a metallic body. Feel of this phone is improved as compared to Redmi Note 3. When you hold the phone it gives you a rich feeling. Unlike Redmi Note 3, Redmi Note 4 comes with dual color combination when it somes to Gold color, Mi Explorers were given White and Champagne Gold color, So I'm having the same one. The Countoured edges made due to 2.5D glass enhances the 5.5 inch display. Because of the 2.5D glass it gives you a feeling that a some glass is kept on the screen if you look at the edges which is better than outline rim on Redmi Note 3. At the back side of the there are curved edges at the bnoth end for the better grip. Due to these edges it is very handy and comfortable to hold this phone and operate even with one hand. In front,  You will find hearing speakers at the top and left to the speakers you will get front camera and right side you have proximity sensors. Redmi Note 4 has a perfect symmetrical design at the front and the back. The Proximity sensor and front camera are of the same size and even at the bottom speaker grills carries the symmetry due respect to USB plug.

At the back of the phone you find Finger Print sensor. Just above FPS you will have dual LED flash and above to the flash you will see camera. Xioami has build the Redmi Note 4 in such a way that the phone perfectly rest on a flat surface, Unlike most phone where the camera grill pops out little bit making the phone rest on camera partially. At the back you will find Antenna lines separating the top and bottom part which makes the back panel look classy. You will get Volume rockers of right side of phone frame and SIm Slot to the left. At the top of the phone you will get headphone jack, As Xiaomi believes in headphone jack concept. At top of the phone you will also find noise cancellation and IR blaster at the left side. Speakers of Redmi Note 4 is at the bottom of the frame unlike Redmi Note 3 which is at the back panel. Even if you rest your phone on front or back you will be able to hear ringtones and alerts with volume which you set without suppressing or any obstruction. In between speaker grills you will get USB port. Overall the build of the phone is sturdy, classy and rich.

Camera Performance

The 13 MP camera with BSI CMOS sensor captures the picture with more light compared to its early version. Due to the more light it catches every image with rich details and in vibrant colors. As a Mi Explorer I got very obsessed with camera of Redmi Note 4 and was able to capture some beautiful image with the camera, Even one of my image was displayed during the launch. The camera covers every minor details on this image, Thanks to the 1.12-micron pixels. HDR mode works perfectly to give beautiiful pictures. Overall the performance of Redmi Note 4 is much better than Redmi Note 3 for obvious reasons. Rear Camera also allows you to take HD and FHD videos, You canm even take Time Lapse and Slow Motion videos in HD mode.

This was x4.0 Zoom picture taken by Redmi Note 4 at 5:30PM

The 5 MP front Selfie Camera will make you change your profile picture time to time with its smarta and Pro Beautify profiles. The front camera has f/2.0 aperture for better photos.

Capture large groups with f/2.0 aperture

Gaming Performance

Gaming on Redmi Note 4 goes as smooth as you expect it should be. Factors which make gaming more smooth are Powerful Adreno 506 GPU which gives you the graphix output at 60fps, LPDDR3 RAM, 5.5inch FHD Display with 2.5D Glass and the coolest SNapdragon 625 Processor. In one of the mission I had to play games till the battery dies. I kept playing Apshalt 8, First of all the Game play was smooth without lags and frame drops and second thing was the device was not heating at all. From 100%to 5% maximum battery temperature I reached was 37 degrees. So overall the gaming performance of this device is upto the mark. Here is one video of Asphalt 8 game play from Redmi Note 4. Video quality may be compromised because of screen recording and uploading. But In reality its far far more better than it.

UI Performance
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 comes with MIUI 8 ROM out of the box. MIUI ROM is one of the most customisable ROM in the world of Android. Carrying the heaviest Android ROM, Redmi Note 4 is still is super fast and works at lightning speed. The specifications coupled with MIUI ROM is delight to any tech freak. The hardware of this phone is well optimised for a smoth phone operation in day to day life. Even with 15 heavy apps in background heavy and high end games like Modern Combat 5 and Asphalt 8 worked like a charm. Like I mentioned above there was no heating issue during the gameplay. You won't find any lag or any obstruction during the phone operation, Multi tasking on Redmi Note 4 is smooth.  More than that Redmi Note 4 will be the first Xiaomi phone to have Android Nougat preview. After you buy the device, Just check the Redmi Note 4 section download the MIUI ROM from there and enjoy Android N preview on it.

Battery Performance
Like I mentioned above that Redmi Note 4 carries the tag of being the " The New King of Battery" and it is for a reason. 4100 mAh battery of the phone promises you to stay away from the charger for long time. Battery back up is far far from our expectations. Mi Explorers were given various missions on battery life and everytime it was very tough for us to drain the battery of the phone. We even tried to drain the battery by hook or crook but we struggled alot.

Normal but heavy daily usage
One of the explorer even got a SOT of 1 day during his battery endurance test. I'm myself a very heavy phone user, I like to play games like Asphalt 8, Then I'm very active on social media apps, I watch youtube alot and  I also play games like 2048 which drains a battery alot but still in this operation my battery lasted for 1 day 4 hours and 1 min. If I have to give ratings to battery then 10/10 to it. So if you are the person who likes to keep your phone with you more than charger then this phone should be your soulmate. More than that battery has uses quick charge technology, I'm always able to charge my battery from 1-100% in 2 and Halfs hours.
Continuous Youtube Marathon, FHD Videos back to back.

Box Packaging

Xiaomi has moved on from its typical brown box packaging long time ago. Now they are more into making the box just like their products are. The packaging of the phone makes you feel that you have on classy phone hidden under the white box, Yes, the box are white but unlike Redmi Note 3 it has only 4 written on front with an elegant and unique style. Inside the box you will get Redmi Note 4, Sim ejector, USB cable, Charger which supports quick charge and Manual.

Verdict

Mi India has put Redmi Note 4 in Mid Range category but if you see the performance then it can challenge many phone in flagship category. But for now lets keep the phone in Mid Range and compare to its competitiors. So going with that Right now, There is hardly any phone which can match the stats of Redmi note 4. Be it Gaming, Be it UI operation or be the Camera of phone, Redmi Note 4 is clear winner in all departments and True all rounder with the performance. If you having a budget of 11k-15k INR then you do not have any better option than Redmi Note 4 and more than that you save 2K INR even if you opt for higher 64GB variant. The phone is available is Grey, Champagne Gold and Black Color. But the Black Redmi Note 4 is everyones eye candy.

Rate

Number of participants 18 Experience +74 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2017-01-22 02:24:37
Favorites100 RateRate
Nice review
Fantastic Device
2017-01-22 02:29:02
Fantastic review ,bro...
2017-01-22 02:31:32
FEEL FREE TO P.M ME FOR ANY HELP.

拉朱

Semi Pro Bunny

Aashi_ | from Redmi 3S

Excellent thread as always. :)
Thanks for the detailed explanation and review
2017-01-22 02:39:24
Awesome thread bro, a complete package of info... Thanks for sharing.
2017-01-22 02:40:54

Master Bunny

aditya10dulkar | from Redmi Note 4

woah man! awesome thread
2017-01-22 02:43:12

Master Bunny

karan mishra | from Redmi 3S

awesome and detailed review bhai
2017-01-22 02:47:31

Rookie Bunny

1649753447 | from Redmi 3S

Amazing design