How's your favorite Mi device doing? Hope it's all safe and secured and easy to find. If not, lets show you one of the methods to make it more secure and easy to locate in case it gets lost. We will be using two methods one is using the Find Device feature based on MIUI & Mi Cloud - METHOD A and the 2nd method is Android Device Manager which works on other android phones too without MIUI or Mi Cloud - METHOD B. You can enable both or just one depending on your ROM. China ROM doesnt come with Google Apps and Services so you can use the Mi Cloud Find Device service or manually install Google apps and services to enable Android Device Manager. For Global ROM users you can use anyone method or both. Note: Before you begin, you need to know that any kind of find device or remote security feature will require an active data or WiFi connection on your device. So lets begin.
Method A - Mi Cloud.
This method is the most simple and will work on MIUI China as well as Global ROM.
Skip to Method B if you have a Non-MIUI Device
1. Open Mi Account app.
2. Tap on Mi Cloud.
3. Scroll down to last option.
4. Tap on Find Device.
5. Wait till it contacts Mi servers and enables it.
6. Press OK. That's it. Done.
How to use this feature?
So you can't find your phone?
You are home but it's on silent mode and there's no point giving it a ring.Or worst you don't remember where you kept it?
Lets see how this feature can help you find your Mi phone.
1. Go to i.mi.com from a Desktop or Laptop
2. Login with your Mi Account & Password registered with your phone.
3. Click on "Find Device"
4. Now press on "Find Device" again. If you have multiple Mi Device,first tap on "All devices" to select the device you want to locate.
5. Once it's located it will show show you the current location of your device.
6. Now if you see the device location at your home, then press the "Alarm" button.
7. Now press on "Play Alarm" and the phone will start ringing a loud alarm tone.
You can here the sample tone on your Desktop,
as to how it sounds by pressing Play button with green icon.
8. Now if the phone's location is shown at an unknown location, you can use the
remote lock function and post a message on it, so that if someone finds your phone,
they may contact you and also your personal data is safe from unauthorized acess.
9. Now the worst scenario where you feel like the device is lost and you do not want
anyone to have access to your personal data, then you can use the "Erase"option. This can also be used if you want to reset your device completely.
Method B - Android Device Manager.
This method will work on all Android Phone irrespective of which ROM.
You need to have Google Apps & Services installed for this to work.
1. Go to main phone Settings and scroll down to "Google" under Accounts section.
2. Scroll down to Security & open it.
3. We need to enable two option called "Remotely locate this device"and "Allow remote lock and erase"
4. Enable "Remotely locate this device" and "Allow remote lock and erase"
5. When you enable "Allow remote lock and erase" you will be asked to enable Android Device Manager. Tap on "Activate".
How to use this feature?
Similar to "Find Device" in MIUI and Mi Cloud, Android Device Manager
helps you to remotely locate your device, lock it or erase it's data.
Now let's see how to utilise these features.
1. Go to www.google.com/android/devicemanager and login using your
Google Account used your phone.
2. Press on the "Locate Device" icon next to your device name.
3. It will ping your device and update your device location using GPS.
4. You can use the "Ring" option to locate your device near you,even if it is in Silent mode.
5. If your device is at an unknown location, you can remotely lock it and also set a lockscreen password with a message to call you back.
6. And in case if your device is lost and not retreivable, you can remotely erase all your personal data and avoid any unauthorized access.
Any kind of Find Device or Remote Security function will require an active Data or WiFi connection and GPS enabled on your device.
Hope this tutorial helped you.
Please leave your comments and feedback.
In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .