In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Tips & Tricks

[Tutorial] [MIUI Feature Tutorial] Themes: A Step Further in Customization

2017-02-08 03:19:41
9054 34
Edited by Ajay Vasudev at 2017-02-14 07:59 PM

Themes: A Step Further in Customization
     My phone is my own. I want it to stand out in the crowd, though there are several ways to do that, the most neat yet efficient method that I found is 'MIUI Themes'. Theming is a great way of making your phone look and feel unique. Through theming you can make your phone change from 'The Lame ' to 'The Game ' in a matter of seconds! If your phone relates to the former, and have not seen the 'Kewl' world of themes , this thread is the best place you have ever been to.
For convenience this thread has been divided into 5 major parts:
  • What is Theming?
  • How to Theme a Mi device?
  • Tips & Tricks
  • Video Guide
  • FAQs
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

• What is Theming?
In computing, a theme is a preset package containing graphical appearance details. A theme usually comprises a set of shapes and colors for the graphical control elements, the window decoration and the window. Themes are used to customize the look and feel of a piece of computer software or of an operating system.

Theming is the process of changing the looks of UI and there by the feel of the device using the Theme Engine incorporated to the UI itself. This Theme Engine developed by Mi itself is one of the most advanced and powerful of the herd, in some cases it's even better than the CMTE[CyanogeMod Theme Engine] from CyanogenMod[RIP], as the whole module, for example the complete lockscreen, its elements, shortcuts, widgets, animations etc. can be modified. Mi Theme Store is huge, hence one might get lost or confused in the colorful world, that is where a thread like this comes in need.

• How to Theme a Mi device?
     The process of theming can be made much simpler than you ever thought. Let me break it down to much simpler steps you can follow:
1. Make Sure that You have a phone running MIUI. If you have MIUI V6/7/8, You are good to go!
2. Open 'Themes' app either from the Homescreen shortcut or from Settings -> Themes
3. Tap on 'Categories' or Directly Search for your desired theme
4. Select the preferred category [Opt.]
5. Scroll through till you find the Theme you want, tap on preferred Theme.
6. Tap the 'Download' button
7. Wait for accomplishment.
8. 'Apply' Theme.
9. Wait for the application process to complete.
10. Voila! You have successfully applied a theme for the first time!

-----------------------
Pictorial Guide

• Tips & Tricks
     Having such a Huge Universe, the Theme Engine of MIUI is sure to have a lot of shortcuts, un-explored realms, treasure boxes and more. So if I were to list all the tips and tricks, it's hardly possible. Hence, I'm listing some key shortcuts and tricks that I regularly use. Here goes the list:
1. Cross patching Themes:
  We are humans and won't be satisfied that easily. So it's sure that you will find at least one or two issues even with the best of Themes. But that does not mean that it's the end of the road, We have 'Theme Customization' or 'Theme Cross-patch'. It allows users to cherry-pick modules of different themes and apply them as a single new Hybrid theme.  
  For example, suppose I really like the theme 'Ocean Breeze'. But I like the icons of another theme more; for example, Fallin' in Love. I want the best of both theme, thanks to the cross-patch feature, I'll be able to pick the icons of the latter to be applied with the former. So I'll be able to apply selected elements of different Themes. To do that, follow these steps:
       Themes -> Account -> Theme Customzation -> Module -> Theme -> Apply
Pictorial Guide
-----------------------
2. Theme Backup:
  If you wanted to backup the way you customized the themes or its composition, you have that option within the themes app. By backing up you can later restore the theme configuration and overlays with ease by applying the theme package named 'Theme Backup' from the themes list. The steps for backing up are:
Themes -> Account -> Theme Customzation -> Backup Current Theme
Pictorial Guide
-----------------------
3. Batch Delete Theme:
  Sometimes, when you have a large number of themes offline, it might eat away internal memory quite a lot [avrg. theme size is 8MB]. When there are so many cool themes available on the store, I usually find myself having 25+ themes on my device. For people like me having phones with low capacity internal storage, deleting some themes might get life-saving at times. Rather than opening every single theme and clicking the bin button on top right corner you can tap and hold on the themes enlisted to enable batch selection, then after selecting the ones you don't use anymore, Press the delete button on bottom bar to remove all of them at once. To batch remove, go to:
Themes -> Tap & Hold -> Delete
Pictorial Guide
-----------------------
4. Use Unofficial Themes:
  Though it's not recommended to use unofficial themes, you still have the option available if you persist. You can import any MIUI theme in its .mtz form. This process requires an internet connection as Theme Store checks your account before applying the theme. A designer account should be linked to your profile to be able to apply imported theme without errors. To make a designer account, Click Here. This is useful if you plan to make themes or import unofficial themes. To import themes, Open:
Themes -> Import -> Locate File -> Apply
Pictorial Guide
-----------------------
5. Make sure theme is completely applied:
  Though a reboot is not mandatory for applying MIUI themes, sometimes some elements of UI might not get themed till the device is rebooted. A reboot ensures you that the theme has been applied completely See picture below:
-----------------------
6.How MIUI Themes work?
  MIUI themes work and feel different from CMTE or Substratum, It is powerful yet simple. Essentially .mtz is nothing but .zip archive with changed extension. This file holds the theme overlays which is compressed and will be decompressed by the theme engine once imported. The modules holding overlays either in form or .png or .9.png is compiled into .mrc file and placed in the location specified below, from where it is pulled by the Theme Engine when the theme is applied. Though this might not be done this exact way, I thought it would be nice to share what I deducted from the process as I found no proper thread explaining it.
/int_storage/MIUI/Theme/.DATA/IMPORT/CONTENT
-----------------------
7. Know your Theme!
  MIUI Theme Engine is very powerful and many talented designers have put it for wise use. There are many features that can be incorporated into a theme like 'Double tap to change Wallpaper/Music', Lock Screen gestures, Multi Page lock screens, many more. You might even be using a theme without knowing about all of its cherries!
So how to know what all extra features are built into the theme? The easiest way is to read the theme description carefully. There you will be able to check the changelog and special notes from the designer itself. You can check the comments section for further info and even leave a comment which will be your channel to the designer.
I am leaving some examples below:

• Video Guide
     It's said that visuals get imprinted several times deeper than texts or voices. So here is a video incorporating the key points of this tutorial. Apologies for low quality video, but I believe that this would serve the purpose.
Video Guide

• FAQs

1. Can I change the bootanimation with Themes?
A. Yes, you can, if the theme supports it.

2. Can fonts be changed?
A. Yes, you can, if the theme supports it. A reboot might be needed for the font to change.

3. Will theming slow my device?
A. No, it won't. Theming has evolved a lot from the olden days. These themes won't slow your devices as the Theme Engine is from Mi itself.

4. How to make a theme?
A. MIUI forums has an elaborate set of guides for that. Go check it out here.

6. My Theme Store looks different from yours, is that an issue?
A. No, this applicable to most varients of the Themes app.

5. I found something wrong in your thread. What to do?
A. Don't hesitate, leave a comment about that. :)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Thanks To All those who helped me make this thread, Especially
Sofia
Sidharth Katare
Vinay
7143Shafeek
Ajay.K
Madhav V
&
You!

Rate

Number of participants 1 Experience +5 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2017-02-08 03:19:41
Favorites14 RateRate

Pro Bunny

Ajay Vasudev Author |

Reserved for addons
2017-02-08 03:20:11
Thank yolu so much for sharing this. This will make my phone more beautiful!
2017-02-08 04:06:14

Pro Bunny

Ajay Vasudev Author |

Vikram_Murdande replied at 2017-02-08 02:36 PM
Thank yolu so much for sharing this. This will make my phone more beautiful!

sure, will add more stuff that i know and will get you more info abt advanced theming
2017-02-08 04:10:49

Admin

R0user |

Very Nice, keep it up
2017-02-08 09:42:08

Pro Bunny

Ajay Vasudev Author |

Thank You Sir, Do you have any suggestions?
2017-02-08 09:47:48

Semi Pro Bunny

Madhav V | from mobile

Good tips
2017-02-08 12:06:36
Star Wars ,Arduino , Android  and Mountain Dew

Master Bunny

ajay k nair | from mobile

Wow, nice brother
2017-02-08 12:06:48

Master Bunny

Arjun555 | from app

Useful thread for themers...
Thanks for sharing...
2017-02-08 12:19:20
Mi Fan

Master Bunny

HK2815 | from mobile

Great thread
2017-02-08 13:09:36
[url=https://c.mi.com/in/static/image/smiley/comcom/22.gif]https://c.mi.com/in/static/image/smiley/co

Pro Bunny

Ajay Vasudev Author | from app

Thank you all
2017-02-08 20:49:23