In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Tips & Tricks

[Tutorial] [MIUI Feature Tutorial] Mi Drop - The Way Mi Devices Loves To Communicate!

2017-02-11 10:11:05
2967 10
Edited by TuhinN at 2017-02-12 01:37 AM

Hello, Admin, Mods and all Mi Community members, how is your day going? Pretty much busier like yesterday? So, I'm here to put more stuffs on you by making you read this!

Today, I will introduce the feature of MIUI which was there in the treasure for long, few found it and loved it, few looked at the treasure and ignored it. So, I'm here to make those who felt the feature 'not that necessary', feel it's significance and showing it necessity.

Mi Drop, was introduced in MIUI v5.9.29 (Closed Beta ), for all of us in the Beta Team, it was new and everyone was excited to try with other Mi Phones. I wasn't lucky to test it at that as I had only 1 Mi Phone, so, planned to take my phone to school to test the feature with another classmate who was with me in the team.
I came with the phone but he betrayed me and I didn't get the privileged to test it.

If you are reading this line first in this thread, you missed a boring story. LoL!

INTRODUCTION
Mi Drop is dedicated MIUI ROM feature, intregated within the ROM. It can be used to transfer files within Mi Devices and uses the same WIFI based transfer used by most transferring apps available in the Android Market.
It doesn't have any standalone app to access the feature. So, I will show a tutorial how to transfer and receive files.

HOW TO USE?
----> Sender
If you are the sender, all you have to do, is click 'Send' or 'Share' button anywhere the file is and select "Mi Drop", select the name of the receiver and that's all folks. The file is in new hands now.
To help you out, here a GIF for you!

---> Receiver

Unfortunately, you didn't have the file but your friend does. So, use the 'Mi Drop' and get it from him. For this, all you have to do is click on the 'Mi Drop' icon in the notification shade and wait for the approval request, click 'Accept' and now the file is in your hand. Again, if you want to make the process familiar, have a look at the GIF.

PROS-
  • Ease of transfer
  • Turns of automatically after transfer
  • Accessable from the notification shade

CONS-
  • Only Mi Devices can use it. So, less userbase but as Mi becoming a trend everywhere, it's a con for a small time
  • Continuous multi-user share isn't available, once a file is sent to the first phone after completion the next device will receive it.
  • Non customisable name, the phone name is taken for the device name.

Hidden Feature? I don't think it have any hidden feature but would appreciate if anyone knows about this, reply to teach me.

This feature have been great for me, atleast when I share file among my own devices or with my friends. I wish we could choose the directory to save the files and option to change the name of the sharing device, I find both my devices of same name and don't like that.

I saw many people having Mi Phones using Xender or ShareIT, maybe they aren't familiar with the feature or the love the app that they were using before having the Mi Phones.
I just wanted to make the process more familiar with the user who aren't aware of this feature.

Thanks Mod @IPS bhaiya for helping me correct this thread!
Have a great day ahead!

Rate

Number of participants 1 Experience +1 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2017-02-11 10:11:05
Favorites RateRate
Great tutorial, nicely described the features!
Will use it!
2017-02-12 03:44:52
Nice thread, well explained. Do remember to reply the link to the contest thread.
2017-02-13 00:47:28
I'm Sofia, Mi Comm Team Member.

App Review Team

TuhinN Author | from MI MAX

Sofia
Nice thread, well explained. Do remember to reply the link to the contest thread.

Already did it, Admin! :D
2017-02-13 01:49:19

App Review Team

Sandeepan Mazumdar
Great tutorial, nicely described the features!
Will use it!

Thanks! Hope you liked it. :)
2017-02-13 09:05:47
Sofia replied at 2017-02-13 11:17 AM
the banner image looks very familiar to me  :P :P
2017-02-16 01:06:04

App Review Team

Edited by TuhinN at 2017-02-19 11:03 PM
paramgagan
the banner image looks very familiar to me  :P :P

Hehehe!
2017-02-16 04:01:44

Semi Pro Bunny

Vimal Kumar Dev | from Redmi 3S

yaa !!!and I also
2017-02-16 07:24:27

App Review Team

Vimal Kumar Dev
yaa !!!and I also

Great!     
2017-02-19 12:32:52

Advanced Bunny

1633666997 | from Redmi 3S

how to grant permission mi drop in 3s prime?
2017-08-31 05:21:35

Rookie Bunny

gs khatta | from Redmi 4A

nice thread
2017-10-13 12:11:39