Mi.com | APP Download | About Mi Community | Privacy Policy |
India
In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Redmi Note

[Other] [#03 Debate of the week] Bezel-less Display Vs Notch Display? Which One Do You Like More?

2018-10-07 22:04:08
3057 92
Hello Mi Fans,
Last week we saw that more than 80% of the users agree about the Triple camera setup in the devices, whereas 20% are against it. This week lets debate about another interesting topic. Today smartphone makers are looking for ways to increase the display area of the mobile phones. We have been seeing bezel-less display devices such as Mi MIX 1, 2 etc and notch display devices such as POCO F1, Mi 8 etc recently. Both these kinds of the display have the main functionality, that is to increase the viewing experience of users. Today lets talk about both of them.

Bezel-less Display
The word Bezel-less actually means without no bezels. Some of you might be wondering, what is a Bezel actually in a mobile phone? For those who don't know, I will try to explain in simple terms. It's the area around the device, which ads structural integrity to your device. or in other words, it's the frame around a photograph.  The bezel also serves many other purposes, like to include the camera’s and sensors in it and also to avoid accidental touches to the display while holding the device in our hands. So in the case of mobile phones, we can't really say a device as a true bezel-less device right now. But in the future, since technology is advancing day by day, it might be possible for a fully bezel-less device too. For now, when we say a bezel-less device, what we mean is reducing the maximum possible bezel around the display. So why are manufacturers going for bezel-less displays? The answer is really simple. To provide an immersive viewing experience to the users by increasing the screen size. So when screen size has to be increased, the clumsy large bezels will furthermore increase the dimensions of the device. This makes it uncomfortable for the users to hold and use it. So the only solution is to reduce the size of the large clumsy bezels as much as possible. Also reducing the bezels increases the screen to body ratio of the device.

We have seen that Xiaomi’s Mi MIX 1, Mi MIX 2 and the recent Mi MIX 2S was such a kind of bezel-less device, where the three edges of the device have almost no bezel. And the bottom chin has a bezel to include the selfie camera. Mi MIX 1 was Xiaomi's concept phone with an edgeless or bezel-less design. It was designed by World-renowned designer Philippe Starck.

Also, there are some other kinds of bezel-less display devices like that of Oppo Find X and the Vivo Nex S where the front camera is hidden inside the frame and opens the camera only when the camera app is opened in the device. The camera opens and closes with the help of a motor. Both these mechanisms have there own advantages and disadvantages.

Notch Display
This is the latest trend now which was first started by Essential Phone PH-1 and later Apple with iPhone X. Now almost all android OEM’s follow this trend. What is a notch actually? In simple words, a notch is a black cut out at the top of the display to house the front selfie cameras, earpiece, and other sensors.  The main problem of the bezel-less display was the difficulty to place the selfie camera and the other sensors in the device, because of the bezel-less design. The notch display solves this problem. The remaining area of the notch can be used for showing clock, battery charge level information as well as network signal information. Since now the devices are around 6 inches or more diagonally, having a notch in the top of the phone, will not cause that much issue to the users. Those who don't like notch display are also given an option to hide the notch by the smartphone manufacturers.

The notches are also having different shapes and dimension in different devices. For example, Redmi 6 Pro has a smaller notch whereas the recently launched POCO F1 and the Mi 8 series has a bigger wider notch because it has the Infrared (IR) face unlock system embedded into the notch. Wanna see how the IR face unlock system is implemented inside the notch of a Mi 8? Refer to the image below:

So the notch of the Mi 8/POCO F1 is accommodating these much components and that's why its notch is bigger too like the iPhone X. The Essential Phone has only a small circular area for the front camera as a small notch. And now there are waterdrop/teardrop shape notches too, which takes an only minimum amount of area in the top side of the device.

Since the notch is the newest trend, Google also made android P to work with notches fluently. The notch was earlier present in only flagship devices, but now even the budget devices are now offered with notches, considering the trend of notches among smartphone users. One of the advantages of Notch display is that we get more screen to body ratio than bezel-less devices. Also, the area in the notch can be used to show important information such as network coverage, time, battery status etc, even if you are using the device in full-screen mode. But the disadvantage is that sometimes it causes the video to cut under the notch and if the app is not properly designed for notch display, it may behave weirdly too.

So which one is better: Bezel-less display or Notch Display? In my opinion, it's actually each user's personal preference. I do like bezel-less display mostly. But can't forget the fact that notch display is the new trend in smartphones. But also hates to see when apps are misbehaving in notch devices. So Mi Fan's what's your pick on this topic:
Bezel-less Display or Notch Display
Which One Do You Like More & Why?

I welcome all to participate in this friendly debate topic.
Source: Google, Wikipedia etc
Image credits: Google Images
End Time: 2018-10-14 09:52:00
VS
For 131
Bezel-less Display devices are having real beauty as it provides an immersive viewing experience to the users
Against 20
Notch Display is the latest trend in the smartphone industry and I love it.

Rate

Number of participants 2 Experience +27 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2018-10-07 22:04:08
Favorites34 RateRate
I prefer notch display over Bezel-less display because according to me notch display looks much attractive and also it solves the problem of placing the selfie camera and other sensors on the device.
2018-10-09 09:48:25

DSR | from app

Notch interferes in full screen experience.
2018-10-10 09:25:46

Advanced Bunny

Julius. R | from Redmi 5

I prefer bezelless display... it looks really attractive
2018-10-10 09:29:11

Master Bunny

Surya Prakash Gautam | from Redmi Note 4

amazing and nice
2018-10-10 09:42:50
I Always Preferred  Bezel-less Display
2018-10-10 09:45:04
Teri meri zindagi mein auto to purchase
2018-10-10 10:11:38

Master Bunny

arvind2123 | from Redmi 3S

nice information
2018-10-10 10:15:25

Pro Bunny

Abiii | from app

I suppose to go with bezel less display because screen to body ratio means a lot to me.
2018-10-10 10:16:31

Semi Pro Bunny

1796056365 | from app

Gives more display.Attractive to eyes also. Easy to use
2018-10-10 10:17:12

Semi Pro Bunny

1796056365 | from Redmi Note 5

anytime bezel less display. musch more convenient to use and gives super visual experience.  
notch bothers to eye and  affects while watching videos or photos , just cuts out images or videos. do not like Notch display.
2018-10-10 10:19:08