In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Tech

[Other] [Tech With Furqaan Ep.2] Android TV Box: What's That? What Do You Think?

2017-03-25 01:14:24
18462 291

Hey Mi Fans,

How are you doing? So I started a new series "Tech With Furqaan" last week and now I am back with Episode 2! Excited yeah? So as per your demand, I came up with the explanation of Android TV Box. You guys must be thinking, Android TV Box? What's that? How does it work? Let questions arise in your minds and I will answer all your questions here in the thread! So are you ready for Episode 2? Fasten your seat belts and enjoy reading this thread!

What is an Android TV Box?

Android TV is a smart TV platform developed by Google. Based on the Android (operating system), it creates an interactive television experience through a 10-foot user interface. It was initially announced on June 25, 2014, at Google I/O 2014 as a successor to Google's earlier attempt at a smart TV platform, which was Google TV.

Android TV boxes are popular items these days which allow user, a wide range of applications, right from surfing the web to streaming video straight to your TV. These small boxes can turn mostly any TV into a Smart TV with a wide range of options. Pretty interesting isn't it?

OK in simple words, Android TV Box is basically a Box with some magical powers which will be operated by Android Interface and will be connected to your TV. All you need to do is to spell some magical words that is "Abra Ka Dabra" and voila! Your TV is now Android TV! Simple isn't it?

How Does It Work?
Basically, an Android TV Box is connected to a TV and setup to the internet via wired Ethernet or a WiFi connection.

After a box is connected to a TV, and to the internet, apps can be installed. For example, a YouTube app can be installed to stream YouTube videos.

Android is an Operating System, like Windows or iOS, that was created by Google mainly for mobile phones. It runs on ARM-based processors which make it portable to any device that runs on the same hardware as of phones.

Since the Android Operating System is an open source and free, it is much cheaper to manufacture hardware based on it and can be sold at a very reasonable price.

Well as we all know that Android System is mainly used on smartphones, but what's the other side of the story is that, it can also be installed on small boxes that run the same hardware which can give better input and output options. Amazing?

For example, Android TV boxes can output HDMI to a TV giving it HD viewing ability. They also can use a remote control, keyboard, or mouse as an input.

Confused on how to setup the Android TV Box with your TV? Let's check out a video of how to setup a Mi Box!!

Well do you know you can even do a Voice search on a Mi Box? Sounds interesting! Why not check the video of it? It's fun, right?

What Can It Do?
Well, Android TV Box is mainly used to stream video content to users allowing them to watch their favourite TV shows and movies on demand.

While that is their main use they can also do most anything a standard computer can do. As its having android based system, smartphones apps can be installed from Google Play Store that can do most anything which can be thought of.

Also, a very large variety of apps can be installed that can do everything from creating a document to playing your favourite high end games on it.

Final Verdict

The market for inexpensive Android TV Box is growing very fast but it remains difficult to navigate and full of lacklustre products. Android TV boxes may have their own drawbacks. They can be time-consuming to set up correctly, and they may need to be tweaked on a regular basis as new firmware comes out. But wait! If you are a Geeky! Just like me, you know, who loves having the option to install whatever you want and can tweak the system to really make it yours, then you’re just the person who should get an Android TV Box.  

And-and-and do you even know Xiaomi also makes Android TV Box? Mi Box! Yes, you heard it right!!

Mi Box comes with 4K Android TVTM set-top box with HDR video support and a Bluetooth voice remote included. Connect to a world of content and entertainment at home with Mi Box. It runs on the latest Android TV 6.0 which is easy to use, supports voice controls and Google CastTM. Catch your favourite TV shows, play games, watch the news or switch to radio. Mi Box also recommends videos based on your personal Youtube and Google Play preferences!

Also, HDR is quickly making its way to TV, first to set-top boxes with Mi Box. Watch videos in detail like never before with select HDR content. Witness scenes and characters come to life in vivid contrast, colour, and clarity.

Mi Box can handle up to 60 frames per second - that's double what other set-top boxes can do. It's an advantage you'll notice naturally when you watch NBA live or play a racing game.
Let me tell you my experience with Mi Box! I have a friend who is having a Mi Box. So we decided to show it to our other friend. We went to his house and then I told him that let me show you a Magic Trick! I will convert your TV (A Normal LCD TV) into a Smart TV in which you can do many things like play games, watch videos and etc. My friend told me that's not at all possible as he was not much aware of the Android TV Box! I connected the Mi Box with his TV and it took me few minutes to connect Mi Box with his TV. I completed the setup followed by the magic spell "Abra Ka Dabra"! He was very astonished to see his TV converted into a Smart TV. He asked me how did you do that and many more. I explained everything about Android TV Box and also Mi Box. And this made him buy a Mi Box for himself! Happy Ending!
So, this was all about Android TV Box. Well, I hope you are now pretty much clear about Android TV Boxes! Today's class is now over! I will catch you back next week! Till then enjoy your weekend!!!

Sources of information - 1, 2

Missed last week's session? Don't worry have a look at it from the below link!

[Tech With Furqaan Ep.1] Technology Behind Drones Explained!!

And now What Technology you want me to explain next week? Post your answers below!

Rate

Number of participants 12 Experience +97 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2017-03-25 01:14:24
Favorites112 RateRate

Master Bunny

1623822701 | from Redmi 3S

awesome tv & set of boz
2017-03-25 01:56:29

Master Bunny

1578866082 akraid | from Redmi 3S

Mobile to TV. Superb
2017-03-25 02:03:50

Master Bunny

pal4uonly | from Mi Note 2

is mi box will be seen officially in india in coming days...
2017-03-25 02:41:45
Super Moderator Global MIUI Forum (Mi Note 2/3)
https://en.miui.com/space-uid-1637029963.html

Super Moderator

Furqaan Author | from Redmi Note 4

pal4uonly
is mi box will be seen officially in india in coming days...

There's no official announcement yet, watch out Mi Community for more information
2017-03-25 02:53:21

Spam Hunter

parag purkar | from Redmi 3S

waiting for it
2017-03-25 03:00:05
Informative thread, thanks for sharing
2017-03-25 03:01:11

Grandmaster Bunny

Saajan Palta | from Redmi Note 3

Very Advance Technology
used Vodafone web box in past But MI BOX has a great configuration
2017-03-25 03:29:36