In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Mi 3 & Mi 4

Debate of the Week
Subscribed
Subscribe

[Discussion] [#20 Debate Of The Week] Would You Buy a Device with No Ports?

2019-02-15 20:35:02
5623 107

Hello MI fans!
I am here to have another interesting debate. It's about "Would you buy a device with no ports?". We all know about the Ports, they don't need any introduction. The trend is trending and many OEMs have started removing the Ports. Today we are discussing the Advantages and Disadvantages of Ports.So, Are you all ready to have another interesting debate this week?

What is Port:-

Port is a common connector for plugging in a standard pair of music headphones, speaker, USB/Charging. Consider what ports are on a phone today - Speaker, Microphone, headphones, USB/Charging, SIM tray(Not really a port, but still).

What is a Portless Device:-

A Device without any jack or any hole to plug-in a pair of headphones, no jack for charging or connecting a USB, No hole for speaker and microphone.

Should It be done? :-

Yes, a phone can get completely Portless, and there are solid reasons to pursue this. Design and aesthetics would be greatly improved without the need to drill holes into the chassis of the phone. Plus also consider that a phone without the speaker or 3.5mm jack is a phone that can be thinner or have more room for a battery or other components. Maybe it's not much space, but this is an industry where millimeters count. Finally, a Portless phone is pretty much a waterproof phone.

Portless ==Pointless?

The problem is that a Portless lifestyle is a completely different concept. Sure you can make a Portless phone, but should you? I'm not so sure that's a lifestyle people would willingly adopt for something as niche as "Waterproof". People already whine about having to plug in their smartwatches every night - what if the had to plug-in their Bluetooth headset too?

Advantages of Portless Device:-

Slim Device:- Removing ports make the design of mobile phone slim and due to this thinner device is possible.
More Space to internal parts:- Due to no ports, it makes an extra space to internal parts like the battery.
Waterproof :- As no ports mean no holes to the device and will help the device to make waterproof.

Disadvantages of Portless Device:-

Bluetooth Audio :- Bluetooth Audio technology may suffer as it is not developed at that level yet. So making Portless Device may affect to audio quality.
E-SIM :- This is the biggest problem with Portless Device as accessing E-SIM is not a simple task.
Expandable Storage:- As no port means no chance to insert Memory Card, this will be going to be an issue regarding Portless Device.

Conclusion:- On paper, the concept sounds intriguing, But the concept falls apart. Weird has to be worth the weird in order for it to be viable. It has to be easy to adapt and in this case, it simply isn't, What about you? Would you be willing to adopt this kind of lifestyle?
Sound off below, especially if you can think of a reason this would succeed because I just don't see it.

Previous Debates

End Time: 2019-02-25 10:32:00
VS
For 29
Yes, I will buy a phone without Ports as It is the next Generation in Smartphones.
Against 58
No, I will not buy a phone without Ports as It is a Weird concept.

Rate

Number of participants 2 Experience +11 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2019-02-15 20:35:02
Favorites67 RateRate
Debate of the Week
Weekly Debates on Hot topics in the smartphones and Tech
32 Article Description     176 Subscribers
Subscribed
Subscribe

Device team

Nidhin@mi | from app

Some ports are necessary, if it is ip rated then why not.
2019-02-18 13:15:31

Mayank #1 | from app

Still we need the ports as wireless technology is not as much developed. So I'd not consider buying a device without ports.
2019-02-18 23:35:38

Rookie Bunny

visu2699 | from Redmi 6A

yes I m interested
2019-02-18 23:54:34
Still we need the ports as wireless technology is not as much developed. So I'd not consider buying a device without ports.
2019-02-18 23:56:28
Mi Fan - I ❤️ MI
Always Believe That Something Wonderful Is About To Happen.

Device team

Arun Abhimanyu | from Redmi Note 4

very nice article loved it bro
2019-02-19 00:25:27
I would go with device with ports and I am comfortable with that
2019-02-19 00:26:57

Master Bunny

Vishal Khesti | from Redmi Note 4

nice one this
2019-02-19 00:27:42
No matter what I need SD card on my phone
2019-02-19 00:29:32