In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Tech

[Other] [Tech With Furqaan Ep.3] Fitness Tracker: How It Works?

2017-04-08 02:18:48
17156 190

Hey Mi Fans,

I am back with another episode of Tech With Furqaan Series. The last episode was all about Android TV Box and I hope you loved it! Today, as per all your requests I am here with the explanation of Fitness Trackers!

Well, you must be having a basic idea about Fitness Trackers that it calculates steps, calorie and blah blah blah! But do you know how it actually works? Yes? No? Confused? Don't worry I will explain the whole Tech behind the working of Fitness Trackers! So are you ready for Episode 3? We are about to fly in the world of Technology so fasten your seat belts and enjoy reading this thread!

What do you mean by Fitness Tracker?

Fitness Trackers have been widely used in medical sciences, sports and security. Wearable sensors can detect abnormal and unforeseen situations, and monitor physiological parameters and symptoms through these trackers. This technology has transformed health care by allowing continuous monitoring of patients without hospitalisation. Medical monitoring of patients’ body temperature, heart rate, brain activity, muscle motion and other critical data can be delivered through these trackers.

OK let me tell you in simple words, a Fitness Tracker is a device for monitoring and tracking fitness-related metrics such as distance walked or run, calorie consumption, and in some cases heartbeat and quality of sleep. Simple isn't it?

Unravelling the mystery of these tiny marvels!

Most people think, the system complexity of fitness tracker is much lesser than a smart watch. But I don't agree with this. And I am sure after reading this thread you will also realize a fitness tracker is some sort of a genius companion you ought to have.

Getting down to the components of Fitness Trackers...

Sensing Layer: This layer has sensors embedded in the device; these sensors collect data like the number of footsteps, heart rate, body temperature, etc.

MAC Layer: This layer is responsible for device monitoring and control, quality-of-service management, and power management.

Network Layer: This layer takes care of transmission, routeing, and addressing using IPV6. With IPV6, address allocation and management can be done more efficiently, hence it is chosen over other Internet protocols.

Processing Layer: In this layer, the data received from the sensing layer is analysed and stored in databases. This layer is also responsible for security control.

Service layer: This layer provides the analysed and processed data to other services like mobile application on Android or iOS via Bluetooth.

So you must be having a doubt that what makes one fitness band different from another? Ummm, guess guess. Yes! The Sensing Layer. Here you can see tiny sensors closely watching each move and constantly tracking them. Different fitness trackers have a different type of sensors! The functionalities of these tiny marvels are beyond our imagination.

Sensors? Which type of sensors are usually used in a Fitness Trackers? Check below for the answer!

Sensors

• Accelerometers
  • GPS
  • Optical heart rate monitor (OHRM)

So above are the basic sensors used in a Fitness Trackers! Want to know more about each and every sensor? Check below!

Accelerometers

An accelerometer is a device that measures proper acceleration. In simple words, it measures your current movements.

GPS (Global Positioning System)

GPS, these have become a part of our everyday lives, I doubt it even needs any sort of explanation. Well, this technology tracks people, objects, and finds locations, directions. From tracking stolen vehicles and mobile phones to valuable shipments, GPS affords safety in more ways than one. Navigation has never been easier. No more fighting for finding the best route to reach your destination!

Optical Heart Rate Monitor (OHRM)

A heart rate monitor is a personal monitoring device that allows one to measure one's heart rate in real time or record the heart rate for later study.

A Dedicated App to control this tiny marvels!

Mi Fit has great wellness features including breathing training to offer on top of measuring the heart rate, sleep, and steps. You have a Mi Band 2, which is apparently one of the most advanced and pricey trackers available nowadays. Whatever you want to know about the calories and active time, this tracker tells you. It even calculates heart rate. When you go to sleep, the tracker can tell!

Here are a few screenshots of the app.

Features of Mi Fit!

- Use Mi Band to set, track, and follow your health and fitness data day and night.
- Monitor and track your sleep quality.
- Start every day feeling rested with Early Bird Alarm.
- Gain insights from easy to view trends based your personal health data.
- Share your progress and stats with friends on Line or Facebook.
- Skip the lock screens and use your Mi Band to unlock your Bluetooth devices (only available on Android 5.0 or Mi 3, Mi 4, and Redmi Note 4G).
- Set your Mi Band to vibrate when you have incoming calls on your phone.
- Compare and compete with friends using WeChat.

Final Words

Fitness Trackers may provide a large quantity of fitness data about your heart-rate, body temperature and even elevation, but it’s not worth much without software to translate it into useful advice. From anticipating illness to spurring you on to more exercise tomorrow, it’s all of these sensors summing up together that truly provide a clear picture of your health today, and what you can do to improve it tomorrow. So in my opinion, if you are concerned about your fitness then Mi Band 2 is a perfect companion one must have! So what are you waiting for? Go buy one for yourself from here.

Sources of Information: 1, 2, 3

Missed last sessions? Don't worry have a look at it from the below link!

[Tech With Furqaan Ep.1] Technology Behind Drones Explained!!
[Tech With Furqaan Ep.2] Android TV Box: What's That? What Do You Think?

And now What Technology you want me to explain next week? Post your answers below!

Rate

Number of participants 13 Experience +63 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2017-04-08 02:18:48
Favorites100 RateRate

Master Bunny

Abhishinde9 | from Redmi Note 3

nice.......
2017-04-08 02:38:38

Master Bunny

Vishal Limbachiya | from Redmi 3S

nice one.....