In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Mi 3 & Mi 4

Debate of the Week
Subscribed
Subscribe

[Discussion] [ #29 Debate Of The Week] Rotating Camera vs Pop up Camera! What would You Prefer?

2019-06-15 05:42:36
48710 283

Hello Mi Fans!
Hopefully, you all are having a great time in the community. As you all know, every week we come with an interesting debate for you. In last week’s debate, we found that more than 91% of users think Back covers are essential for smartphones. This week we are here to have a debate on camera type. Making devices bezel-less without removing the front camera is currently the trend, two of the best ways to do so, seem to be newly popular Pop-up selfie camera and rotating rear camera which we also saw in some devices a few years back. So, we thought we should take the debate to you and let you guys decide which is better, without wasting more time let's get started!

Pop Up Camera
One of the most appreciated technology in the mobile camera is pop-up camera technology. Most of the flagship device features a pop-up camera technology. It uses a "spiral stepper motor" place next to the camera module, which drives the camera up and down.

Advantages
  • Using Pop up camera enables you to use the extra display with better screen-to-body ratio.
  • It gives premium design to your device.
  • Newer devices with the pop-up camera usually take almost the same time to open as regular cameras.

Disadvantages
  • Pop Up camera module is not that durable.
  • Devices with Pop Up camera module may cost pretty high.

Rotating Camera

Rotating camera is one of the camera technology used in smartphones. Rotating camera comes with both manual and motorized module. In the manual module, we need to rotate the camera and in the motorized module, it rotates the camera according to the camera mode.

Advantages
  • It enables to use of the single-camera sensor as front as well as rear.
  • This module offers an extra display to use.
  • You get the awesome rear camera quality for selfies too as in smartphones rear cameras usually have better sensors.

Disadvantages
  • As module may break due to low durability which is a big drawback.
  • After some time of use, the motor may weaken up or stop working.
  • Can be slower compared to Pop-up Cameras.

Conclusion

In opinion, I don't think either one of them is much reliable because both have the mechanical moving parts and a lot of times moving part can malfunction sooner or later. Though given a choice between these two by considering today's youth. I'll take my chance with Pop Up Camera setup. As this is something most smartphone makers are confident will work for a long period of time without any hassle. But, not going to write-off Rotating Cameras just yet as this trend has just begun will be fun to see where this goes.

Now it's your time to select the best among the best.
Share your views in the comments below, which trend do you think will stick and why?

Previous Debates-

Subscribe to our columns to Stay updated with interesting Debates, Polls, Tutorial and more from Device Team:

End Time: 2019-09-22 09:46:00
VS
For 39
I will prefer Rotating Camera, as it will result high quality images even for selfies.
Against 105
I will prefer Pop Up Camera, it seems more durable than rotating Camera.
2019-06-15 05:42:36
Favorites199 RateRate
Debate of the Week
Weekly Debates on Hot topics in the smartphones and Tech
33 Article Description     195 Subscribers
Subscribed
Subscribe

Advanced Bunny

Mrinal@ | from app

Rotating camera provides same functions for rear and front images which takes less space with higher resolutions of camera.
2019-06-15 12:20:12

Techie Team

J C Paul | from Redmi Note 4

Like you mentioned, none of these ones is much reliable for the moving parts. Still, if I've to choose one of them, I'll obviously go for pop-up camera for its stunning look and better durability.
2019-06-15 23:02:10

Master Bunny

RRV06 | from Redmi Note 7 Pro

none of them are better...in display camera or a drop notch camera would be far more durable but people have more money to waste these days,so they ger attracted to design more and dont care about durability
2019-06-16 00:39:32
2019-08-13 01:03:38
2019-08-13 21:04:57

Pro Bunny

@r@vInD | from app

Both have some probs in future as both are mechanical parts. But Pop up is more durable as compared to rotating as its motor may slow down soon. Pop up is also fast than rotating too
2019-08-13 23:03:21

Semi Pro Bunny

97LEGEND | from app

of course it's nice to have rotating camera to take good selfies and can use second camera for selfies as well.
2019-06-15 09:57:00

Advanced Bunny

Deepak1024 | from Redmi Note 5 Pro

it's look nice..
2019-06-15 09:57:48

Advanced Bunny

1649960212 | from Redmi Note 4

I think rotating camera is better for pics both rear and front
2019-06-15 09:58:05

Semi Pro Bunny

5161434565 munna | from Redmi Y2

Rotating camera
2019-06-15 10:20:32
Cuz it's so innovative
2019-06-15 11:10:39

Pro Bunny

Adarsh.Rangare | from Mi A2

i like pop up camera over rotating camerA
2019-06-15 12:19:35

Advanced Bunny

SAMEER HASAN | from Redmi 4

because you use your rear camera to like selfie camera
2019-06-15 14:50:47

Advanced Bunny

593782981 | from app

Please place a better image for rotating camera in this post.
2019-06-15 21:21:39