In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Mi A2

What if?
Subscribed
Subscribe

[Discussion] [#2 What if] Headphone jack is removed from your smartphone?

2019-06-13 10:47:09
48271 259
Hello Mi Fans,

Welcome to our new series, What If. In this series, we will talk about technological advancements and/or latest innovations which make you reconsider your thoughts. So let's begin with “What if the headphone jack is not there on smartphones?

To begin with, Apple is the first smartphone maker that removed headphone jacks from the device. Following the trend, many OEMs started removing the 3.5mm jacks after that.

Headphone jack saw its place since the starting of the era of the cell phone industry. It was further continued in the smartphones too. It was of great use. For feature phones, it was limited to listening to music and FM radio. But for a smartphone, it has some extra functionality such as
  • Mobile phones don’t have an inbuilt temperature sensor. But there are some external sensors available in the market which can be plugged in the headphone jack.
  • Using an external tool we can use our phones to make 3D scans of the real world.
  • Also, you can plug in an IR blaster (if your device doesn’t have)

Cool uses right. The headphone jack sports a three-channel communication interface: one channel in (for the microphone) and two channels out (for the left and right stereo channel). Listening to music gives an amazing experience on wired earphones. The sound quality through the headphone jack is also better than the USB-C port.

But no technology has proved to be permanent. Most of the premium segment devices are coming without a headphone jack. If you are used to listening to music on wired headphones, you might not prefer a smartphone without the jack. You can also use the audio splitter to route the audio to two or more output devices.

Why the headphone jack is being removed?
Following the trend, today’s need is a smartphone with high performance with a fascinating appearance. The OEMs also try to keep the devices thin, the 3.5mm audio jack might be an obstacle for them. Some smartphone manufacturers believe that removing headphone jack gives them extra space for other components like the camera and the processor. Google says the primary reason for dropping the jack is establishing a mechanical design path for the future. They want the display to get closer and closer to the edge.

Alternatives of the headphone jack

Removal of the headphone jack has opened the way for other alternatives for listening to music. For example, now USB type-C is a common thing. You can use it for listening to music. Another option is a wireless earphones/ headphones. Now you might be wondering how one will listen to FM, well there are alternatives too like the AM radio and online radio.

Conclusion

I am too used to wired earphones and will stick to it for at least a few more years. This trend is continuously advancing and will be slowly accepted by all. The smartphones with headphone jack might be rare in the future.

So what are your opinions, share your thoughts in the comments section.

Subscribe to our columns to Stay updated with interesting Debates, Polls, Tutorial and more from Device Team:
2019-06-13 10:47:09
Favorites208 RateRate
What if?
Here we talk about the technology improvements and the new innovations which make you rethink on your opinions,
6 Article Description     28 Subscribers
Subscribed
Subscribe

Rookie Bunny

Dikshit M | from Redmi Note 4

I like the conclusion part as my thoughts are the same. I would recommend to have jacks in the smartphone as the wireless headphones are only for show they are not durable and it often needs to be charged and without charge it is useless. Jack plays very important role to those who are not only passionate to listen music but also who have a long conversation in calls for an hour or so it is difficult to use wireless headphones. I hope Redmi or Mi would not get into this change
2019-08-16 01:22:05

Device team

sktaufiq | from Redmi Y2

For me, headphone jack is one of most important thing in smartphones. and I  think that wireless technology is not that much developed yet, so it affects me.
2019-08-16 03:21:03

Master Bunny

Guddu@MI | from Redmi Note 5 Pro

I will sorely miss the jack! The sound quality that comes out of it is still unmatched! But I am also hopeful that future technologies will improve the current experience and make the audio output as close as possible to that of the jack. On the wireless front, aptX from Qualcomm and AAC from Apple is very promising. So, all is not dark and gloomy. But this is perhaps the first time we are feeling sad about the demise of a technology, isn't it? Usually, technology changes and get better. In this case of 3.5 mm Jack, it is quite the other way round! I, too, want it to be there for a while before it falls into oblivion.
2019-08-16 08:26:23

Rookie Bunny

Sankar Unnikrishnan | from Redmi K20

I too think the future phones will not not have earphone jack, and the alternative should be the wireless. But for that, need some more advancement in Bluetooth (in terms of relaiblility) and battery technology (in terms of size to capacity) which help make overall hasile free, uninterrupted voice and longer usage.
2019-08-17 01:57:56
This trend has been in fashion for a long time and everybody knew that eventually the headphone jack would go. Its ok. Switching towards a wireless future is a step towards progress.
2019-08-18 20:03:50
with/without headphone jack no problem - can use wireless earphones/ headphones

will be good if we get waterproof [wireless] earphones/ headphones
2019-07-04 04:39:09

Advanced Bunny

Harsh_Shah_1 | from Mi A2

apple was not the first to remove headphone jack
it was LeTV le2, it came before iPhone 7 and was the first phone to remove 3.5mm jack
(It was my first phone)
2019-07-05 04:37:31

Master Bunny

Vidhu Bhushan | from Redmi 4A

I don't mind
2019-08-16 00:25:01

Pro Bunny

Mr.rao | from Redmi Note 4

thanks for sharing
2019-08-16 00:26:32

Advanced Bunny

vinay75in | from Redmi Note 4

nice knowledge
2019-08-16 00:28:36
may be in future it will happen now a days the trend of Bluetooth headphones is already begin it will replace the headphone jack option in smart phones
2019-08-16 00:31:53

Master Bunny

HDHSHK | from Redmi 4

excellent
2019-08-16 00:43:35

Pro Bunny

Dasari5 | from Redmi K20 Pro

In my knowledge Bluetooth head phones are not up to the mark when compared with wired one, but if we want great features we have to sacrifice some thing.
2019-08-16 00:59:51

Master Bunny

Keep On Techs | from app

3.5 mm jack quality is on par compared with normal BT Earphones.
2019-08-16 01:08:45

Master Bunny

Samarth Soni | from Redmi Note 5

nice information
2019-08-16 01:10:29