In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Redmi Note 5

[Review] [Tech Class] Chapter 86: LHDC: A codec for a superior music quality

2019-11-29 02:57:05
4939 41
Hi Mi Fans,

Hope you all were happy with my previous tech class thread regarding LDAC Audio Coding Technology and you are all eagerly waiting for the next thread in this series. So today I Am back with yet another interesting and informative tech class thread on the most realistic audio coding technology which is ‘LHDC™’.

What is LHDC ?

In the last tech class we saw how LDAC makes audio technology better and I noticed many Mi Fans showed their interest in learning more about other audio technologies as well. So here I am with one of the latest audio technology ‘LHDC’.  There are more chances you get confused over LDAC and LHDC so let me start with what LHDC stands for to avoid more confusions. LHDC™ stands for ‘ Low latency and High-Definition audio Codec’. LHDC is mostly known for its high definition wireless audio. LHDC is developed by the Hi-Res Wireless Audio (HWA) Union and Savitech. LHDC supports bitrates of 400\560\900 kbit/s with a bit-depth of up to 24 bit and sample rate of up to 96 kHz. The biggest competitors for LHDC are SBC, LDAC and Qualcomm's aptX-HD. The first Smartphone to support LHDC was the Huawei Mate 10 and soon android 10 devices are going to sound better with LHDC™ as Savitech has collaborated with Google to bring its LHDC codec to Android 10 devices as part of Google’s partner program.

How Better is LHDC When Compared to Most Commonly Used SBC ?

Image Source: HWA

As mentioned in my last tech class we always compare the things which we love or which we are going to buy with everything to know how better our choice is similarly if we take in the case of LHDC we will need to compare it with the leading audio technology to finally land into a conclusion. I have already mentioned above that SBC is one of the biggest competitors and most widely used bluetooth audio technology when compared to other audio technologies like LDAC and LHDC. So while comparing SBC with LHDC we see that  LHDC™ allows more than 3 times than the data transmitted by SBC. Also from the below bar graph it is clear that SBC codec transmits less volume of data as a result SBC codec provides less sound quality when compared to LHDC. The increase of data transmitted by LHDC enables users to experience more details and a better sound field, and immerse in the emotion of the music.

Image Source : HWA

When Can We Experience LHDC in Smartphones ?

Image Source: porta

LHDC is currently introduced in some of the Huawei devices and Xiaomi has also launched Mi 9 Pro 5G with LHDC support. As of Android 10, LHDC is not officially supported, LHDC is required to be implemented by smartphone manufacturers or Android apps. Android apps that support LHDC include Savitech's Hi-Res BT Player, FiiO Music, HIFIMAN Music and DA&T Audio. Also Xiaomi Air dots Pro 2 was launched with LHDC supported.

Image Source: xiaomitoday

So Mi Fans this all about LHDC™ ‘Low latency and High-Definition audio Codec’. Let me know in the comment section below what you feel about LHDC also let me if I want to cover all any other audio technologies for you. Thank You for Reading and will catch you guys with my next interesting thread.

Thank You Mi Fans For Reading

In Case You Missed Previous Threads:
2019-11-29 02:57:05
Favorites34 RateRate

Semi Pro Bunny

vijaysadana | from Redmi Note 7 Pro

hi
2019-12-12 06:02:04

Resource Team

amitrjpt01 | from Redmi Note 7 Pro

nice
2019-12-12 06:10:04