In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

MIUI General

[MIUI Q&A] Different Versions of MIUI Explained

2017-08-03 08:21:11
25980 231

Hola Mi Fans!
There have been pretty many Updates to your Xiaomi phones, like Global Stable, Global Beta etc, which might have puzzled you up and you might have searched for the differences and answers to your Queries. Also, after reading this thread, all your Doubts might get cleared on MIUI Versions.

Flow Chart of MIUI Versions

From Above Flow Chart you Might have got an Idea about Different MIUI Versions available for your Xiaomi Device. To help in better understanding the Differences among these Versions, here are the differences among the MIUI Versions Available.
China Beta: These are one of the Fastest to receive MIUI update and get features in them. This ROM is pre-rooted but requires Unlock Bootloader. They have all Mi Services Incl, Online Music, Assistant, Mi-Pay etc.
China Stable: This the Stable version which comes out of the Box with Devices Bought in China. This ROM also doesn't contain Gapps but has all the Mi Services and also gets the update at a good rate.

Global Beta: This is one of the most preferred Rom (I personally Use it). It has Gapps inside it, is Updated every week, gets new features faster than Stable. Has Mi Cloud to back up your things and has Regional Features too.
Global Stable: By far, the most stable ROM. It has all the necessary apps and comes with a lesser Bug risk than others. If you are looking for a stable ROM, not into updating every week, Global stable is the most reliable.

Note: We Also have China Alpha Available for Some Devices, which gets updated Faster than China beta but has more bugs. To get Google Apps in China Roms, Follow Part-10 from this guide: Install Google Play Store in MIUI Rom

Identifying MIUI Roms

If you want to identify a Particular MIUI Rom, There are Unique code with every MIUI version.
For Beta Rom: 7.6.29, Where the First 7 says the year 2017 in short as 7, and 6 as month, 29 as a Date Suggesting that this Rom was released on 29/6/2017
For Stable Rom: 8.2.X.X, Where 8 stands for MIUI 8, 2 for MIUI 8.2 changes, and X.X for the version of the ROM.
In a Stable Version, you can see Some Digits beside the MIUI Version
Like, 8.2.5.0 MHOMIDL,
Where first M says that it is a Marshmallow Rom, HO states that it is for Redmi Note 3, MI says that it is a Global Rom and DL states MIUI Version Code.

MIUI Recovery & Fastboot ROMs

Recovery ROM: This ROM is used to Update Device Right from the Updater app, these can also be Flashed in TWRP Recovery. They typically vary from 700mb to 1.5gb Depending on your phone. These Roms are a Zip file (Ending with .zip) These are Full Roms and they can be downloaded from: here
Select your Device and then choose among Stable/Developer as per your need and Start Downloading them. Later update by Going to Updater app Selecting 3 Dots on top Choose Update Package Locating the ROM.
Example: This is a Recovery Rom for Redmi Note 4. Where you can see that 7.7.13 is the Rom Version and Global written in it suggests it is a Global Beta and the last 2 digits 7.0 says it is an Android 7.0 ROM.

Fastboot ROM: This ROM is used in case if you have issues with the phone/bricked it. This Roms are in the .tgz format, which later needs to be extracted and used in MI Flash Tool for Flashing your Phones.
Example: Here Mido in the link is the Codename for Redmi Note 4, where 7.7.6 is the Beta Rom version. The word Global states that it is a Global Rom and 7.0 is the Android Version. The file of tgz format which means it is a Fastboot ROM

Beta Stable ROM

When there is an announcement saying that a BETA STABLE ROM is now rolling out Feedback here, it generally refers that ROM is being pushed to random users. Generally, it is the same version that will be publicly released if everything goes well. This particular version won’t be made available to the Community for downloading.
Beta Stable ROM helps ensure that the smallest number of users are affected by any issues you may have missed during testing. During a Stable beta rollout, the Release Dashboard lets MIUI monitor a range of information about the health of your rollout and compare it to previous releases. Developers can monitor crashes, ANRs, installs, uninstalls, and ratings, including the number of ratings provided. If you see anomalies in your app's behavior, Developers can suspend the rollout, make corrections, and release another update if necessary before continuing the rollout, thereby protecting you from a risk of bugs.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is the type of Roms that are there in Mi Community?
All the threads, ROMs posted on Mi Community are related to Global ones i.e, Global Stable and Global Beta only.

2. With What Roms are the Devices in India Sold?
The Devices Sold in India are Shipped with Global Stable Rom only.

3.What is an Incremental ROM Package?
This is a Small sized ROM package, which can be Used to Update to Your Rom Version to the Very Next only. These are small in size and you need to have Mi Recovery Only.

4. I couldn't Find Fastboot ROM for my XXXX Device of MIUI China, Where can I get that?
Go to: http://en.miui.com/a-232.html select Fastboot Update, find your device name and ROM you need.

5. I see that we have Xiaomi.EU ROM too, are they Official?
No These are not official ones. They are unofficial and not maintained by Xiaomi.

6. I want to move to the Stable version from Beta or Vice Versa. How can I do it?
You can use the XiaoMi Tool Method or Use the Fastboot Method.

8. I see that Play store shows Not certified for my Device. Why does it happen?
Beta Roms are uncertified. If it shows in Stable ROM too, Clear cache of Play Services and Play Store.

Recommended Threads

Rate

Number of participants 13 Experience +123 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2017-08-03 08:21:11
Favorites146 RateRate
nice
2017-08-03 09:28:29
Very nice info. Thanks for sharing.
2017-08-03 10:26:39
Great thread and well explained. Thanks for sharing
2017-08-03 10:27:48

MIUI Beta Tester

akshay426426 | from Redmi Note 3

Great info clear major confusion among users
2017-08-03 10:47:58
akshay kumar

Advanced Bunny

1659142663 | from Redmi 3S

nice
2017-08-03 11:10:11

Master Bunny

karthi80 | from Redmi Note 4

nice information
2017-08-03 11:16:27
nkarthikeyan
Well explained
2017-08-03 12:59:48
Well explained, thanks
2017-08-03 13:24:42

Master Bunny

Rahman@mi | from Redmi Note 4

very informative.keep up the good work..
2017-08-03 22:46:17

Advanced Bunny

Sam_806 | from Redmi Note 4

good information
2017-08-04 03:29:29