In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Tech

[Other] [Tech Class] Chapter 4: All You Need To Know About Charging Cycle

2016-09-12 13:56:04
16813 178
Edited by Muse at 2016-09-13 01:39 PM

Hello Mi Fans,
Hope you guys are having loads of fun here in our Mi Community.
In today's 'Tech Class' we will try to understand charging scenarios . Is it recommend to charge your device overnight ?
How charging actually work ? and much more.

About Battery Life and Charge Cycles
There are two camps on how to best protect the capacity of your cell phone battery: charge it when it’s dead, or charge it every night.

I’ve heard older NiCd battery technology should be deep cycled to avoid the old “memory effect”, but our phones, tablets and laptops all have newer lithium-based batteries. The conventional knowledge seems to be that completely discharging a lithium battery permanently degrades its lifespan. But I haven’t found a definitive source on how to best care for my battery.

As an Xiaomi user, I thought I’d check with Xiaomi first. For maximizing battery lifespan, their website suggests keeping your phone at the right temperature and adjusting your settings to use your battery less. They don’t offer any specific recommendation on deep vs. shallow charge cycling, but they do suggest going through at leastone complete charge cycle (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down) per month. That seemed like an oddly specific recommendation with no data to back it up.

A look at the scientific Study
After some research on the above things, I thought to have a check on what Science have to tell about this.

Measuring Battery Performance: When evaluating any kind of performance, engineers need a metric. The standard lifespan metric seems to be“number of charging cycles through which the battery can retain 80% of its original capacity”. For example, Xiaomi promises 300-400 charging cycles for your Xiaomi battery.

Temperature: I found an interesting part (behind a paywall, unfortunately) on the aging mechanisms of lithiumion batteries. Sure enough, there’s good science verifying that temperature play a a big role in battery lifespan. Most batteries are designed to operate at room temperature, and both hot and cold temperatures accelerator aging. They also note that battery capacity will fade over time regardless of your usage habits because the chemicals simply break down.

Shallow cycling: The best research I could find comparing deep and shallow cycling was Nicholas Williard’s master’sthesis from the University of Maryland. He experimented with a particular makeand model of lithium ion batteries. He preconditioned a fraction of these batteries by shallow cycling them 900 times (draining just 7% of charge before recharging). Amazingly, he found the preconditioned (i.e., shallow-cycled)batteries were able to withstand about the same number of deep cycles as brandnew batteries. In other words, shallow cycling didn’t seem to degrade battery capacity at all!

Previous Lessons

Source: Google

Did You Find Today's Class Informative?
Single Poll thread Total 352 Users Voted

93.47% (329)

6.53% (23)
Submit

Rate

Number of participants 16 Experience +128 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2016-09-12 13:56:04
Favorites88 RateRate

Master Bunny

Piyush Nagpal | from app

Awesome thread:-)
2016-09-12 22:50:50
Great work :D Thanks for sharing :)
2016-09-13 02:15:04
Need Help? Any queries? Ping me anytime. Use the reply button to notify me.
Be Kind to One Another!
Muse.. really good work
2016-09-13 02:29:53
MI FC BHUBANESWAR PRESIDENT

Pro Bunny

Muse Author |

Thanks bro :D
2016-09-13 03:00:55
Mr.Shinde

Pro Bunny

Muse Author |

Arun6199 replied at 2016-09-13 11:45 AM