Hi, Mi fans!
In recent days, we have been stumbling upon one common issue every now and then - Duplicate Contacts, with wrong names from our existing contact numbers. The search for the root cause points towards 'Modify your contacts' permission by some 3rd party applications for their app and services beneath. The research led us to a fix and found working with some of our users and so here we are sharing the solution. While it will get fixed in upcoming days, if you are the one with the issue, do give it a try and let us know in the comments below.
"This solution mostly works if your contacts are synced with your Google Account"
Note: Please take backup of all your existing contacts to be on safe side if something goes wrong in this process or to restore your old contacts if this solution doesn’t work for you
How to take backup of your existing contacts to your storage?
1. Go to Settings, scroll down the list to System Apps and select Contacts
2. Tap on Import/Export contacts and select Export to storage (Allow the storage permissions if asked to)
(Remember/Take a screenshot of the path where file has been saved)
Note: If you have single Google account logged-in in your device Go to Settings → Lock screen and Password → Set Screen lock → Turn off lock.
Steps to remove the duplicate contacts:
1. After turning off the lock, go to Settings → Sync
2. Click on Google and tap on More (Tap on your Google account from which you sync your contacts if you have multiple accounts)
3. Select Remove account and tap Remove account
4. Now tap back to go Settings → System Apps and select Contacts
5. Tap on Configure Contacts list and select All Contacts
6. Now go to your homescreen → open contacts app → Now tap and hold on any of the Contacts for more options and Select Delete batch option to Select all and Delete the Contacts
(Make sure Hide Incomplete Numbers option is turned off from Settings → System Apps → Contacts → Display Preferences → Turn off Hide Incomplete Numbers)
7. Now go to Settings → Sync and select the apps which have contacts sync option in that page
(Some of apps with Modify Your Contacts permission are Truecaller , Paytm , Telegram/Plus Messenger , WhatsApp)
8. After turning off the contacts sync go Settings → System apps, select Contacts app → Display preferences and turn on Hide Incomplete Numbers option
9. As last step login into your Google account from Settings → Sync → Add and Sync back all your original contacts.
(Try not to turn on contacts sync for those apps again for better management of your contacts)
Hope this does work for you, this solution has been written on personal experience if doesn’t work or something goes wrong do not blame me.
In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .