In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Mi 5

[Review&Unboxing] Reviewing the flagship Mi5!

2016-06-13 13:38:52
2698 22

Mi5! has always been on news while searching for a flagship smartphone!
If you look at those rumors you will find out that this is among
the most searched device for over a year! so can it live up to the HYPE ?

Let's Find out!

-------------------------------

There were many complaints regarding Xiaomi from Indian fans! Regarding the delay of the launching of the latest flagship devices or let’s just say devices! Yes 2015 had a slow start while there was immense development in   the service center as they expanded the numbers real quick. While 2016 has a quick start and has been more promising so far. They had already launched two  device this year along with lots of new accessories. Redmi Note 3 which hit the top of the budgeted Smartphone is the one highest in demand. While the  Mi5 which is also the most affordable flagship in the Indian market is selling out real quick! Coming back to the device.  

Quick Specs! ( India Launch )

• 1.80 GHz Snapdragon 820 Quad-Core Processor
  • 3GB RAM With 32GB ROM
  • 5.15 Inch FHD IPS Touchscreen Display
  • Sunlight display
  • Dual SIM
  • Rear-facing camera: Sony IMX298 sensor , 16MP camera, with PDAF and DTI technology,Dual flash LED
  • Front-facing camera: 2 micro-meter sized sensor , 4MP camera
  • 4G +
  • Supports Voice over LTE (VoLTE)
  • IR Blaster
  • NFC
  • Fingerprint Sensor
  • USB OTG
  • 3000 MAh Battery.
  • Supports Qualcomm quick charge 3.0

Packing-
Unlike past! Xiaomi decided to come up with something different even for packing. They decided to ditch that old brown box and come up with the new one. Yay! The white one looks premium and more stylish. The rough one was more stiff and strong but that depends on opinion as the package for courier is always strongly wrapped.

Inside the package there was Data cable, manual and charger which supports quick charge.

Design-

I have already used Mi Note and the pro before so I am very much used to the design! What I like about it is that it is more firm holding a device with 3D curved glass which grips nicely! The device comes with dark frames near the display which makes it go almost bezel less! I really like their approach for the camera which is intact with the body and flat.

The buttons are on the right side as always from Xiaomi! It's so easy if you are a Xiaomi user for long. Also the CHAMFERED EDGES part is clean as on Mi4 and looks impressive.
The IR blaster and headphone jack stays on the top while the USB and speakers on the bottom.

Camera-
The camera is 16 MP that is equipped with a 4-axis OIS system and does better than any other Mi Phone. Sony IMX 298 sensor and an aperture of f/2.0 which is said to be one of the best from Sony for smart phones is what they decided to go for the rear camera. The image processing software has improved in low light that's what I could see by the low light samples. Also the pictures were better comparing to Mi Note Pro.

Sample 1 : Low light!

Sample 2 : Almost No light :P

Sample 3: Dim light

I decided to change the focus from light to dark
to test the grainy level of the picture.

A bit of the front camera!
Which I can say is the best front camera I have ever used! Thanks to the 4 Ultra Megapixel Camera.

Straight on the sun!

------------------------------------

Xiaomi always offers awesome hardware for the camera, especially for their flagship devices. It's the same for Mi5, from Mi4 to Mi5 they have improved a lot not just for fancy specs but for real time usage! The camera's focus is quick and responsive.

Video Recording- I tried 4K recording it was good also the 4-axis OIS works nice  could improve slightly but the quality still was awesome.

Display-

The Xiaomi Mi 5 sports a 5.15-inch full HD display. It uses an IPS LCD panel which gives good viewing angles and the text appears sharp. The Mi 5 also supports Sunlight Display, which dynamically adjusts the brightness on pixels; it magnifies the level of light and colors. It works fine even in outdoor conditions.

Viewing angles are awesome.

The backlight ismuch brighter compared to Mi4 may be twice more as stated by them it comes with16 LED backlight. I do like the idea for not going for a 2k display which mightdrain more and more battery and has significantly low advantages compared to a1080p display. May be slight more details but is that even needed on a smartphone which is nearly 5 inches.

Performance-

I don't believe much in benchmarks  but they do give us a fair bit of IDEA! About what we are holding. The same with Mi5 among the very first android devices taking the benchmark to a whole new level Mi5 scores in 6 figures. It can run almost everything you will throw at it. Gaming was smooth and swift! While I did struggle a bit with memory management.

The benchmark I could get! may be a  better after reboot!
In terms of heat management, It was getting a little warm. Also, when charging, the phone does get warm and in bright sunlight may be because of direct sunlight,calling outdoors was fine. It did took it from 36c to a 41c while gaming which was normal while challenging the device.

Fingerprint sensor-

Fingerprint sensor  works swiftly with high accuracy. You can use it for fun activities such as map down your elbow, lips or fingers. It just keeps on getting  better.  The best part is the way xiaomi  has used it for good,  being the very first device  coming  up with a finger print sensor on the front side from xiaomi. It just never fails to impress also it works like a home button key.

Features-
Featuring MIUI 7 running on Android 6.0. The UI is swift and smooth. Also they have a lot of themes for users from India. Result of mebydesign contest. If you are a good designer you can still try and win something from it. There are a lot of features such as Mi msgs, showtime and many more which were added recently last year.

----------------------------

Final Verdict-

It's the best you can get at Rs 24,999 at least right now in India.
The memory management requires a little bit of improvement but that might be fixed in the future updates.
Gaming on this device is smooth and the camera is awesome. Call quality was good and
there were no call drops DATA connectivity was fine as well. For the battery
I will need more time as I cannot judge it in a day or a week will need more time for that.

That's all for Mi5 !

Signing Off!

Rate

Number of participants 3 Experience +7 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2016-06-13 13:38:52
Favorites1 RateRate
Thanks for the sharing
2016-06-14 04:09:55
**I love Mi community India**
Thanks For Reviewing it @Atyant.
2016-06-14 04:47:28
Nice one Aty!!
2016-06-14 08:21:39
Awesome Review Mate
2016-06-15 22:19:33
Dope..... Fabulous device :)
2016-06-15 23:25:26
Thanks for sharing.
2016-06-15 23:26:56
Mi Community India
I think the images of the handset could have been better... :)
2016-06-16 00:12:19
its the best and beast phone in market.
2016-06-16 00:38:40
"It's not who I am underneath but what I do that defines me."
Thanks for review.Love to own one
2016-06-16 06:43:10
Thanks for the Share
2016-06-16 09:21:55