In order to fulfill the basic functions of our service, the user hereby agrees to allow Xiaomi to collect, process and use personal information which shall include but not be limited to written threads, pictures, comments, replies in the Mi Community, and relevant data types listed in Xiaomi's Private Policy. By selecting "Agree", you agree to Xiaomi's Private Policy and Content Policy .
Agree

Tech

Tech Talks
Subscribed
Subscribe

[Discussion] A Beginner's Guide to Video Game Development [Part 2] - GameMaker Studio 2

2018-03-27 15:07:49
12582 101

Hello Mi Fans,
In the last thread, I showed you a glimpse of how to build your own game. In this thread, I will show you one of the game engines which I mentioned in my previous thread. GameMaker Studio 2 is a powerful simplified code engine which supports both 2D and 3D games but is better with 2D games. It is also the easiest engines out of the three I mentioned, and you can very quickly build your games with it.

When you launch GM, you need to make a new project and then you get this screen. That list of categories on the left is your Resource Tree. It contains every element of your game. All your artwork, objects, levels and so on are kept in this list. When you make a new project, it’s totally empty. Right clicking on any of these categories provides a context menu that allows you to add a new element to that category.

I’m going to cover the four most important resources and how they work together. Understanding this should give you a clearer idea of how GM works at a basic level, before diving into actually trying to make stuff.

Sprites

Right at the top of the resource tree are “sprites”. Sprites contain the images & animations of your game objects. A sprite might be a single image, or it might have several animation frames. They also have collision shapes that can be precise, rectangular, circular, etc. You can connect sprites to objects to have them show up in your room. Typically, a sprite would be used for objects such as players, enemies, items and other interactive or animated elements of your game.

Backgrounds

Backgrounds are similar to sprites, in that they are an image resource. Unlike sprites however, a background image cannot contain any animation frames and does not have any collision settings.

Objects

Objects are where we create all the logic and interactivity of your game. An object might be an obvious, visual element of your game like the player character, enemies, items and walls. Objects can be assigned a sprite and contain an initially blank list of Events. You can then create events and associate those events with certain Actions. An event is something that happens in your game. The player pushing a key, the object colliding with another object, the object being created or destroyed, the game starting or ending, or even simply a step or frame of your game passing by.

When these events occur in your game, an object will carry out any actions it has associated with that event. Actions can be things like moving the object, destroying the object, having the object create other objects, changing variables and just generally making things happen inside of your game.

Rooms

Rooms can be used for many things, they act as containers for all of your game’s objects and background elements. It’s easy to think of rooms as simply the “levels” of your game, but more accurately they could be viewed as simply “screens”. A level of your game might be contained within a room, but so might your menu screen, intro screen, cutscenes, option screens, etc.

In conclusion, Game Maker studio 2 is easy to use and simple studio to develop your 2D games quickly. The downside, the games wont look that great. The games look like straight out of a 90s game console.
This is just a brief introduction to the game engine, if you want to actually make a game using GM then I recommend this website as it has very detailed tutorials on each step in making your game.

Rate

Number of participants 1 Experience +5 Pack Reason

View Rating Log

2018-03-27 15:07:49
Favorites127 RateRate
Tech Talks
Tech Talk is simple and best way to represent latest tech news in short span of time.
724 Article Description     4961 Subscribers
Subscribed
Subscribe

Pro Bunny

Mannik Gupta | from Mi A1

wow, good pick up thread!!its knowledgeable!!!
2018-03-28 03:07:22
Well explained!
2018-03-28 23:41:17

Tech - Moderator
Mi FC Trivandrum - President

Semi Pro Bunny

RUBESH | from Redmi Note 4

superrtttrt
2018-03-29 00:33:18

Advanced Bunny

fahjskks | from Redmi 4

i love this .good